Wakerley and Barrowden railway station
|Wakerley and Barrowden|
Ticket in use at the station at the time of its closure in 1966
|Pre-grouping||London and North Western Railway|
|Post-grouping||London Midland and Scottish Railway|
|1 November 1879||Opened|
|6 June 1966||Closed|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Wakerley and Barrowden railway station is a former railway station in Wakerley, Northamptonshire, England which also served the nearby village of Barrowden, Rutland. It was owned by the London and North Western Railway but from 1883 to 1916 was also served by trains of the Great Northern Railway.
It opened for passengers on 1 November 1879 along with Kingscliffe railway station and Nassington railway station, on a new section of line from Wansford Line Junction at Seaton to Yarwell Junction at Wansford.
Wakerley and Barrowden station closed for goods traffic on 28 December 1964 and to passengers on 6 June 1966, when the passenger service from Rugby (Midland) to Peterborough (East) was withdrawn. At the same time the section of line from Rugby (Midland) to Kingscliffe was closed completely.
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
|Seaton||London and North Western Railway
Rugby to Peterborough East
|Seaton||Great Northern Railway
Leicester Belgrave Road to Peterborough North
- British Railways Pre-Grouping Atlas and Gazetteer.
- Leleux R. (1984) – A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain – Volume 9 – The East Midlands; 2nd Edition Trowbridge : Book Club Associates ISBN 0 946537 06 2 p. 108.
- Quick M.E. (2003) – Railway Passenger Stations in England, Scotland and Wales – A Chronology 2nd Edition Richmond : Railway and Canal Historical Society; p. 303.
- Clinker C.R. (1988) – Clinker’s Register of Closed Passenger Stations and Goods Depots in England, Scotland and Wales, 1830 – 1980 2nd Edition Chippenham : Avon-AnliA ISBN 0 905466 91 8; p. 140.
- Hurst G. (1992) – Register of Closed Railways Worksop : Milepost Publications ISBN 0 947796 18 5; p. 44.
|This article on a railway station in the East Midlands is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|