Waking Up in Vegas
|"Waking Up in Vegas"|
|Single by Katy Perry|
|from the album One of the Boys|
|Released||April 7, 2009|
|Studio||Rocket Carousel Studio (Los Angeles)|
|Katy Perry singles chronology|
"Waking Up in Vegas" is a song by American singer Katy Perry, taken as the fourth and final single from her second studio album, One of the Boys (2008). Perry wrote the song with Desmond Child and Andreas Carlsson, and co-produced it with Greg Wells, who is also credited for playing all the instruments on the song. It was officially released to US radio stations on April 21, 2009 . "Waking Up in Vegas" is a pop rock track about an underage couple getting drunk and blowing their money in Las Vegas, paying homage to the phrase "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas".
The song reached the top 10 in over eight countries, including the United States, where it peaked at number nine on the Billboard Hot 100 and became Perry's third top ten single. It also peaked in the top 10 in other countries including Canada, New Zealand, Ireland, Slovakia and others. The music video was directed by Joseph Kahn and it features Perry and actor Joel David Moore in Vegas partying and gambling. Perry performed the track during her Hello Katy Tour and California Dreams Tour. The song is a playable track in the 2015 video game Guitar Hero Live.
- 1 Background and inspiration
- 2 Composition and lyrics
- 3 Chart performance and reception
- 4 Music video
- 5 Live performances
- 6 Formats and track listings
- 7 Credits and personnel
- 8 Charts and certifications
- 9 Release history
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Background and inspiration
According to A&R Chris Anokute, "Waking Up in Vegas" played a significant role in initiating Perry's pivotal move to Capitol Records. Having been recorded while still under contract with Columbia Records for an album that was then shelved, Anokute later heard the track on a three-song demo and tried to convince his employers at Capitol to sign Perry, claiming it was a number-one single and its singer a star talent. In an interview with HitQuarters, one of the songwriters of the song, Andreas Carlsson, claimed that he worked together with Perry and Desmond Child to write "Waking Up in Vegas". Carlsson remarked that they "really wanted to tell the story that described that moment when everybody's checking out on Vegas after they've had their fun. And Katy is the perfect artist to tell such a story – she has humour, and she knows how to deliver it." Carlsson also said that two of the first aspects of the song to be composed were the main guitar riff – which he already had pre-prepared – and the phrase "put your money where your mouth is," which they were very keen to use and which for a time was almost used as the song's title.
In an interview for Pop Eater, Perry revealed the inspiration behind the track:
What inspired it [was] this boy I was dating at the time. I was 21. We went to Vegas on a whim and we decided to get fake married. We took all the pictures with the minister, with the fake cake, in the fake chapel and got a fake marriage certificate. We went and bought a wedding dress and a suit at a thrift store, and scanned the pictures and the certificate to my family members, my manager at the time [and] totally freaked the s--- out of them. It was the most hilarious, stupid prank I've ever pulled. I still have the wedding dress and the certificate.
"Waking Up in Vegas" was eventually picked as the album's fourth and final single, with a radio edit version of the song being released on April 7, 2009, as well as being sent to US radio stations on April 21, 2009. On the single's artwork, Perry is seen with two dice behind her, giving more emphasis to the song's lyrical content of being in Vegas.
Composition and lyrics
"Waking Up in Vegas" was produced by Perry and Greg Wells, who is also responsible for all instruments of the track, as well as for recording the track at the Rocket Carousel Studio, in Los Angeles, California. According to the sheet music published at Musicnotes.com, by Alfred Music Publishing, the song is written in the key of F major, and moves at a tempo of 126 beats per minute. Perry's vocals span from the low note of A3 to the high note of C5. Musically, the song has been described as a power pop and pop rock song. Lyrically, according to Plugged In, "Waking Up in Vegas" talks about an underage couple get[ting] drunk and blow[ing] their money before [literally] 'waking Up in Vegas'." Perry added that the song is not about apologizing, "[It's] basically a song about getting into trouble with your best friend or your boyfriend or your girlfriend – or whoever you're with – and not having any 'I'm sorry for what I did'."
Chart performance and reception
Following the disappointing chart position of her previous single "Thinking Of You", "Waking Up In Vegas" saw Perry return to the top ten as it peaked at number nine on the Billboard Hot 100 becoming her third top-ten single.
"Waking Up in Vegas" also went on to become Perry's second number one hit on Mainstream Top 40, matching the airplay success of "Hot n Cold". In Canada, the song peaked at number five. On the Irish Singles Chart it peaked at number eight. Ultimately, the song's success was considered a rebound for Perry after "Thinking of You" failed to ignite the charts. The single also helped One of the Boys return to the top 50 of the Billboard 200 albums chart. "Waking Up in Vegas" was the 33rd most purchased song on iTunes in the US during 2009. As of January 2015, the song has sold 2.3 million copies in the U.S. The song also peaked at number nine in New Zealand and is certified Gold.
Billboard gave the song a positive review stating it's Perry's "most radio-friendly song yet." Digital Spy gave "Waking Up in Vegas" 3/5 stars, calling the song "a giddy pop-rock romp featuring an ace sing-along chorus."
The video begins with Perry holding hands with her love interest, played by Joel David Moore. They are in a laundromat, standing in front of a slot machine. It is the morning after the night before, setting the theme of the song's lyric, "That's what you get for waking up in Vegas". Moore drops one coin into the slot machine and pulls the handle. Three "blazing 7" symbols land on the payline, and the machine delivers a jackpot in quarters. Moore and Perry look at each other in astonishment.
The next scene shows them winning at roulette the night before. They then head to the hotel room, where they kick out Penn and Teller. Subsequent scenes show the couple playing various casino games and parlaying their winnings into millions, defeating poker legend Daniel Negreanu, and being welcomed into the Palms Hotel by owners Gavin and George J. Maloof, Jr.
As the winning streak continues, Perry and Moore enjoy a lavish lifestyle, racing through the streets of Las Vegas in his-and-hers Lamborghini Murciélagos. At the height of the streak, they are dressed in show costumes while riding in chariots down Fremont Street, accompanied by a fire-breather and an elephant. They end by feasting at a Roman-style banquet, with visuals that recall the Last Supper.
Perry and Moore kiss in a money booth. After the kiss, the couple's luck changes. They begin to argue. They lose all their winnings except a single quarter and are ejected from their hotel suite (which Penn and Teller reclaim, even performing a card trick before slamming the door on the couple). Perry steals food from a room-service tray.
The video ends in the laundromat where it began. The couple is broke; Moore places their single remaining coin in the slot machine and pulls the handle. Three "blazing 7" symbols land on the payline, and the machine delivers a jackpot in quarters. Moore and Perry look at each other in astonishment as the screen goes black.
Perry performed "Waking Up in Vegas" on Later ... with Jools Holland in September 2008. She was also a guest on Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway in March 2009 where she performed "Waking Up in Vegas" instead of her then-current single, "Thinking of You", which had been released that month. She performed on a Las Vegas-themed stage with her backing band dressed as Elvis Presley. The single was released to Australian radio on March 23, where it became the fourth most added song in its release week. Perry performed the song on American Idol on May 13, 2009. During the performance, she was dressed in an Elvis-themed outfit and a cape emblazoned with Adam Lambert's name on it.
Perry performed the song on July 24, 2009 on NBC's Today show in New York's Rockefeller Plaza. The song was a part of the Perry's set list on Warped Tour 2008, Hello Katy Tour, Summer Tour 2009, and California Dreams Tour.
Formats and track listings
Credits and personnel
- Katy Perry – songwriter, producer
- Desmond Child – songwriter
- Andreas Carlsson – songwriter
- Greg Wells – producer
Charts and certifications
|Brazil (Pro-Música Brasil)||Platinum||80,000*|
|Canada (Music Canada)||Platinum||80,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||200,000|
|United States (RIAA)||2× Platinum||2,300,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|Worldwide||April 7, 2009||Digital download – Radio Edit|
|United States||April 21, 2009||Contemporary hit radio|
|Worldwide||June 2, 2009||Digital Remixes EP|
|United Kingdom||June 8, 2009||CD single|
|Germany||June 19, 2009||CD single|
- "Interview With Chris Anokute". HitQuarters. October 18, 2010. Retrieved October 25, 2010.
- "Interview with ANDREAS CARLSSON, songwriter for Katy Perry, Backstreet Boys, Clay Aiken, Céline Dion". HitQuarters. July 27, 2009. Retrieved August 2, 2014.
- Iasimone, Ashley (May 5, 2009). "Katy Perry Tells Tales of 'Vegas'". PopEater. Retrieved August 2, 2014.
- "iTunes – Music – Waking Up in Vegas (Radio Edit) – Single by Katy Perry". iTunes Store. Retrieved August 2, 2014.
- "Radio1 – Forthcoming USA Singles". Radio1.gr. Retrieved 2009-12-26.
- "Waking Up in Vegas By Katy Perry – Digital Sheet Music". Alfred Music. Retrieved August 2, 2014.
- James, Sarah-Louise (June 10, 2009). "SINGLE – Katy Perry: Waking Up In Vegas". Daily Star. Northern & Shell. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- "Music – Singles Reviews – Katy Perry: 'Waking Up In Vegas'". Digital Spy. 2009-06-08. Retrieved 2009-12-26.
- "Katy Perry – One of the Boys – Plugged In". Plugged In. Retrieved August 2, 2014.
- ">> IRMA << Irish Charts – Singles, Albums & Compilations >>". Irma.ie. Retrieved 2009-12-26.
- Trust, Gary (January 25, 2015). "Ask Billboard: Controversial Hits, Katy Perry's Sales & Taylor Swift's Radio Reign". Billboard. Retrieved January 25, 2015.
- "Waking Up in Vegas". Billboard. 2009-09-14. Archived from the original on May 1, 2009. Retrieved 2009-12-26.
- "The Music Network, Australian Music Business News & Information: New site coming soon". Themusicnetwork.com.au. Archived from the original on 2008-07-18. Retrieved 2009-12-26.
- "Waking Up in New York – omg! photos on Yahoo!". Yahoo!. 2009-12-22. Retrieved 2009-12-26.
- "Waking Up in New York – omg! photos on Yahoo!". Yahoo!. 2009-12-22. Retrieved 2009-12-26.
- "Waking Up in Vegas by Katy Perry – Download Waking Up in Vegas on iTunes". iTunes Store. 2009-06-02. Retrieved 2009-12-26.
- "Australian-charts.com – Katy Perry – Waking Up in Vegas". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Katy Perry – Waking Up in Vegas" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Katy Perry – Waking Up in Vegas" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – Katy Perry – Waking Up in Vegas" (in French). Ultratip.
- "Katy Perry Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Katy Perry – Chart history" European Hot 100 for Katy Perry.
- "Musicline.de – Katy Perry Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Katy Perry Chart History". RÚV.
- "Chart Track: Week 25, 2009". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Media Forest: Airplay Chart: Week 41, 2009" (in Hebrew). Media Forest.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Katy Perry" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.nz – Katy Perry – Waking Up in Vegas". Top 40 Singles.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200927 into search.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Katy Perry – Waking Up in Vegas". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Katy Perry – Waking Up in Vegas". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Katy Perry: Artist Chart History". Official Charts Company.
- "Katy Perry Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Katy Perry Chart History (Adult Contemporary)". Billboard.
- "Katy Perry Chart History (Adult Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Katy Perry Chart History (Dance Club Songs)". Billboard.
- "Katy Perry Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Katy Perry Chart History (Rhythmic)". Billboard.
- "ARIA Top 100 Singles 2008". Aria.com.au. Retrieved 2010-09-18.
- "Charts Year End: Canadian Hot 100". Billboard. 2009-12-19. Retrieved 2009-12-23.
- "Éves összesített listák – MAHASZ Rádiós TOP 100 (súlyozott)". Mahasz.
- "Charts Plus Year end 2009" (PDF). Charts Plus. Retrieved 2010-07-19.
- "Charts Year End: The Billboard Hot 100". Billboard. 2009-12-19. Retrieved 2009-12-23.
- "U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Play".
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2009 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved July 9, 2015.
- "Brazilian single certifications – Katy Perry – Waking Up in Vegas" (in Portuguese). Associação Brasileira dos Produtores de Discos. Retrieved July 9, 2015.
- "Canadian single certifications – Katy Perry – Waking Up in Vegas". Music Canada. Retrieved July 9, 2015.
- "British single certifications – Katy Perry – Waking Up in Vegas". British Phonographic Industry. Select singles in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Type Waking Up in Vegas in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "American single certifications – Katy Perry – Waking Up in Vegas". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.
- "Ask Billboard: Katy Perry's Career Song & Album Sales". Billboard. Retrieved February 20, 2017.
- "iTunes Store – Katy Perry – Waking Up in Vegas (Radio Edit) – Single". iTunes Store. Retrieved 2009-12-26.
- "R&R :: Going For Adds :: CHR/Top 40". Gfa.radioandrecords.com. 2009-04-21. Retrieved 2009-12-26.
- Waking Up In Vegas by Katy Perry: Amazon.co.uk: Music
- Waking Up in Vegas – Katy Perry: Amazon.de: Musik