|Also known as||As the Bell Rings Malaysia|
|Starring||Nik Adruce (Season 1 Only)
Tengku Iezahdiyana Nurhanie Tengku Alaudin
Nurul Elfira Loy
Sharon Alaina Stephen
Cindy Alisha (Season 1 Only)
Ashmen Iskandar Weiss (Season 2-Present)
Syuhaida Abraz (Season 3-Present)
|Opening theme||"Waktu Rehat", performed by the cast|
|Ending theme||"Waktu Rehat (instrumental)"|
|Country of origin||Malaysia|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||43 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Jennifier S. Ng
(Disney Channel's Executive Producer)
(Disney Channel's Producer)
|Running time||7 minutes per episode. 10 minutes per show.|
|Production company(s)||Red Communications Sdn. Bhd
Disney Channel Original Productions
|Original network||Disney Channel Asia
Disney XD Malaysia
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Original release||August 31, 2010 – July 21, 2012|
|Related shows||As the Bell Rings|
Waktu Rehat (Break Time), also known as As The Bell Rings Malaysia, is a Disney Channel Asia original television series that premiered on August 31, 2010. It is based on the Disney Channel Italy original series, Quelli dell'intervallo. The show follows on a group of Malaysian Lower Secondary School students from the fictional SM Jalan Mas (Golden Road Secondary School) on the school hallway during Recess.
The series premiered on August 31, 2010. The first episode, called "Durian Breath" or "Nafas Durian" was shown online on August 18, 2010 in Disney Channel Asia website & Disney Channel Asia's YouTube channel. The show aired every Saturday and Sunday on 11:50 am (MAL/PHIL). English subtitles are available during each episode.
- Nik Adruce as Johan Hamzah (The School Sports Captain) - He is the school sports captain, the captain of the red sport house and the football team. He loves to help friends and look for mischief together with his best friends Faiz and Syed. He is also Julie's older brother. He always wears a jacket (indicating that he is the school sports captain). He loves animals, but suffers from severe blattodephobia, a fear of cockroaches. He has transferred to a sports school in Season 2.
- Juzzthin as Syed (The Jokester) - He is a 15-year-old prankster who has a huge crush on Amirah. He is Johan and Faiz's best friend. He is also a rapper.
- Tengku Iezahdiyana Nurhanie Tengku Alaudin as Luna (The Earnest Problem Solver) - Her motto is "don't crumble when there's trouble". She is smart and resourceful, and is always eager to help people. Her best friend is Amirah, and is the love interest of Anding, who desperately tries to win her heart.
- Farhanna Qismina as Julie Hamzah (The Smart Dreamer) - She is a librarian, a member of the student council, and a straight As student. She is a nerd who likes to read (especially teen fiction and romance) and always dreams about a prince that looks like Nick Jonas. She is Johan's younger sister. She often helps her friends and her brother, Johan. She is always in her school librarian uniform.
- Aedy Ashraf as Faiz (The Street Smart Shuffler) - He is reputed as "the person who can get whatever you want". His best friends are Syed and Johan. His catchphrase is, "time to disappear" whenever he wants to sneak away from trouble and escape from Wai Chong's influence. He wears a red jacket most of the time. In Season 2, Faiz had a crush on a student from SM Bukit Gangsa named G, who is reputed to be more cunning than the mischievous Faiz.
- Nurul Elfira Loy as Amirah Aminuddin (The School Belle) - She is the most popular girl in school. Her best friend is Luna. She has a legion of fans in the school and receives an average of 20 fan mail messages daily. She is the love interest of Syed, who desperately tries to win her heart. In Season 2, she is the head cheerleader of SM Jalan Mas.
- Sharon Alaina Stephen as Kieran (The Tomboy) - A tomboyish girl who does taekwondo. She hates girly clothes and prefers to wear tracksuits or a taekwondo uniform and a headband. She is Mindy's best friend. She is usually paired with Johan on sporting activities. She became the new sports captain in season 2, replacing Johan. She is the first girl to acquire the position in S.M. Jalan Mas.
- Cindy Alisha as Mindy (The Nosy Newshound) - She was the chief writer for the school bulletin. She is usually seen with glasses and two pony tails. She has a camera and recorder with her at all times. She is Kieran's best friend. She left the school in Season 2.
- Amirul Hakim as Anding (The Professor) - He is usually seen wearing glasses and a sweater. He is the president of the astronomy club. He is the smartest in his grade. He is easily pranked by Syed. He has a major crush on Luna and his best friend is Wai Chong.
- Nasiruddin Nasir as Suresh (The Food Connoisseur) - He is a Malaysian Indian student who loves food except roti canai and can recognise any type of food in one bite. He is the only male student in home economics class. He also loves cooking as much as he loves food.
- Nicholas Cheng as Wai Chong (The Prefect) - He wears glasses and a jacket. He is a really great follower of the school rules and will not let anyone break them. He is the head prefect in SM Jalan Mas, and a member of the student council. He is one of the best recognizable students for perfect attendance, and is the president of the "Anti-dating" club. His catchphrase is "Don't run!" when someone tries to run away after he caught them disobeying the school rules.
- Ashmen Iskandar Weiss as Adam (The Musician) - A musically inclined young lad who enjoys playing with his guitar who transferred to SM Jalan Mas in Season 2. He is blessed with good looks and a charming personality, but he feels rather insecure about himself.
- Syuhaida Abraz as Rosie (The Super Confident Overachiever) - She is a new student of the S.M. Jalan Mas. She is a bubbly girl who wants to be the country's first female astronaut.
- The Principal - He is the principal of the S.M. Jalan Mas. He is never seen in the show nor the opening sequence, but his voice is sometimes heard. His head prefect, Wai Chong helps him give detentions to the students who break the rules.
- Ahmad Ezzrin Loy as Nik - He is usually seen in the corridor during the show, and it is revealed at the end of the episode "Brotherly Love" that he is Julie's boyfriend.
- Alam - A great shuffler who teaches Anding shuffling moves in return for Anding's help in his school science project in the episode "The Shuffle Champion". His tagline is "word" whenever he wanted to express his opinion.
- Pak Syukor - A ghostly spirit which believed to be the school guardian by some of the students. It is believed that he knows every answer for everything in the episode "Haunted Help".
- Tengku Iezahdiyana Nurhanie Tengku Alaudin as Lina - A cousin of Luna who appeared in the episode "Nice Luna, Naughty Luna". She is a member of the Girl Scouts, as indicated by her extracurricular uniform. It is revealed in that episode that she is rather mischievous compared to Luna.
- Atan bin Awang - A new student in the S.M. Jalan Mas in the episode "The Bully",who had been possibly transferred to the school due to his previous bad record. He had harassed most of the characters by beating some of them and writing slurs on their backs.He has a small squeaky tone of voice despite his sheer size.
- Atan's Mom - She was called to the principal's office due to her son's behaviour,possibly among the few people that Atan is afraid of.
- Juliana Evans as Azza - A possible new student of the S.M. Jalan Mas, which reported to be a part-model from London who had worked in the various international catwalk runaways and a cousin of Malaysian Teen idol, Juliana Evans.
- Dafi as Azahari - A handsome new student in the S.M. Jalan Mas, which Amirah, Luna, and Mindy were excited upon seeing him by the end of the episode, "Gossip".
- Sara Ali As G - A student from SM Bukit Gangsa, who is reputed to be more cunning than the mischievous Faiz. She is Faiz's first love interest until Season 3, where it is revealed that G is in love with another guy. However, despite that, she is still happy.
- Azlan Iskandar as Himself - A champion of squash who helps SMK Jalan Mas win the Tennis Competition.
- Nazrudin Habibur Rahman as Himself - The Host of Pelajar Ikon.
- Adibah Noor as Herself - She is Rosie's aunt who helps Faiz in forgetting the bad problems. She usually forgets her own problems by singing. She appeared in the episode "Faiz Gets His Groove Back".
- Azurah Aminuddin - The sister of Amirah who appears in the episode The Magical Watch.
- Sekolah Menengah Jalan Mas (Golden Road Secondary School), or S.M. Jalan Mas - The secondary school where all of the characters attend.
- S.M. Jalan Mas school corridor - Adopting most of the As the Bell Rings series, the show revolves mainly around the school main corridor. It features the school motto "Bersatu Padu ke Arah Kejayaan" (Unity towards Excellence) as the backdrop and a replica of Petronas Twin Towers on the middle of the corridor. The school's main corridor is facing towards the school fish pond and the Principal's office.
Theme song and opening sequence
The show theme song "Waktu Rehat", is adopted and translated to Malay from the original Italian version (which is also used by most of the international version of the series) and was performed by the cast themselves.
The opening title sequence of the series begins by the main characters introducing themselves, this was followed by a scenario where the characters are bored in a comical drawn classroom and waiting for the recess to arrive. As the school bell finally rings to mark the recess, the characters dances cheerfully. The sequence ends when the characters taking the class photo and the title logo is featured.
|Malay||English translation||Filipino translation of Malay Version|
Tak sabar kami menanti
Jadi mari bersama kami
We just can't wait any longer
The Challenge is a game set by the characters, which serves as a mini-episode of the series.
The Mystery Files
It is revealed in "Behind the Scenes of Waktu Rehat by Nicholas Cheng who played Wai Chong that there are 54,321 rules enumerated in the Rule Book of SM Jalan Mas.