|• Mayor||Stefan Hermann CVP/PDC|
|• Total||15.9 km2 (6.1 sq mi)|
|449 m (1,473 ft)|
|Highest elevation||1,250 m (4,100 ft)|
|415 m (1,362 ft)|
|• Density||230/km2 (600/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Arth (SZ), (Küssnacht (SZ), Merlischachen (LU)), Unterägeri, Zug|
Walchwil is first mentioned in 1283 as Walchwile.
Walchwil has an area, as of 2006[update], of 13.5 km2 (5.2 sq mi). Of this area, 41.5% is used for agricultural purposes, while 45.5% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 8.2% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (4.7%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
Walchwil has a population (as of 31 December 2017) of 3,617. As of 2007[update], 29.9% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has grown at a rate of 7.6%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (82.4%), with English being second most common ( 6.1%) and French being third ( 1.8%).
In the 2007 federal election the most popular party was the CVP which received 35.5% of the vote. The next three most popular parties were the SVP (30.1%), the FDP (16.6%) and the Green Party (10.1%).
Walchwil has an unemployment rate of 1.29%. As of 2005[update], there were 161 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 46 businesses involved in this sector. 247 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 29 businesses in this sector. 451 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 137 businesses in this sector.
The historical population is given in the following table:
- "Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeinden nach 4 Hauptbereichen". Federal Statistical Office. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Ständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Staatsangehörigkeitskategorie Geschlecht und Gemeinde; Provisorische Jahresergebnisse; 2018". Federal Statistical Office. 9 April 2019. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- Walchwil in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 22-Sep-2009
- "STAT-TAB – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit" (online database) (official site) (in German and French). Neuchâtel, Switzerland: Federal Statistical Office - FSO. Retrieved 17 September 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Walchwil.|