|• Total||6.74 km2 (2.60 sq mi)|
|Elevation||816 m (2,677 ft)|
|Population (Dec 2015)|
|• Density||260/km2 (690/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Herisau, Hundwil, Schwellbrunn, Urnäsch|
Waldstatt is first mentioned in 1374 as Ober Walstatt. In 1415 it was mentioned as Wallstatt.
Waldstatt has an area, as of 2006[update], of 6.7 km2 (2.6 sq mi). Of this area, 62.1% is used for agricultural purposes, while 25.9% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 10.6% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (1.3%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
The municipality is located in the former District of Hinterland. It consists of the village of Waldstatt and a number of hamlets and farm houses.
Waldstatt has a population (as of 2008[update]) of 1,755, of which about 11.5% are foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has grown at a rate of 1.9%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (90.9%), with Turkish being second most common ( 2.8%) and Serbo-Croatian being third ( 1.6%).
As of 2000[update], the gender distribution of the population was 50.2% male and 49.8% female. The age distribution, as of 2000[update], in Waldstatt is; 157 people or 9.2% of the population are between 0–6 years old. 218 people or 12.7% are 6-15, and 93 people or 5.4% are 16-19. Of the adult population, 101 people or 5.9% of the population are between 20–24 years old. 465 people or 27.2% are 25-44, and 405 people or 23.7% are 45-64. The senior population distribution is 191 people or 11.2% of the population are between 65–79 years old, and 80 people or 4.7% are over 80.
Waldstatt has an unemployment rate of 1.33%. As of 2005[update], there were 78 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 38 businesses involved in this sector. 304 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 19 businesses in this sector. 202 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 54 businesses in this sector.
- Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeindedaten nach 4 Hauptbereichen
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB, online database – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit (German) accessed 30 August 2016
- Waldstatt in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 17-Sep-2009
- Brief Statistics for the half-canton (German) accessed 15 September 2009
- Appenzell Outer Rhodes website (German) accessed 15 September 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Waldstatt.|