This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Location||Les Avenières, Rhône-Alpes, France|
|Owner||Compagnie des Alpes|
|Previous names||Avenir Land (1979 to 1988)|
|Operating season||April - October|
Walibi Rhône-Alpes is a French theme park located in the commune of Les Avenières, in the Isère department. It is the largest theme park of the Rhône-Alpes region. The park contains more than 33 rides and it covers an area of 35 hectares.
The park had an income of 8,8 million euros in 2005, and it greets over 400,000 visitors yearly.
Walibi Rhône-Alpes also contains a 13,000 m² waterpark called L'Île aux Pirates (previously Aqualibi).
As of 2006, the park is owned and operated by Compagnie des Alpes, which also owns many theme parks and ski resorts across Europe.
The park opened in 1979 under the name Avenir Land. The Walibi group would acquire the park in 1989, renaming it Walibi Rhône-Alpes.
In 1986, Walibi introduced water rides with the creation of a waterpark called Aqualibi. It would be given a makeover in 2006, becoming L'Île aux Pirates (French for Pirates' Island), and featuring a Caribbean theme.
Sale to Six Flags
In 1998, the park would change hands once again and it became part of the Six Flags chain, as part of the American company's international expansion.
Sale to Star Parks
However, six years later, in 2004, Six Flags sold most of its European parks (including Walibi Rhône-Alpes) to Star Parks. The exception was Warner Bros. Movie World Madrid, which was sold back to Time Warner and renamed Warner Bros. Park and later Parque Warner Madrid in 2006. The Walibi parks would be transferred to Compagnie des Alpes the following year, and they've belonged to the French company ever since.
Rides and attractions
- Timber - The Gravity Group - Wooden roller coaster - 2016
- EqWalizer - Vekoma Boomerang roller coaster
- Le Galion - Swinging pirate ship
- Skunx Tower - Drop tower
- Stock Car - Bumper cars
- Scratch - Zamperla Wild Mouse roller coaster (formerly Zig Zag)
- Tomahawk - Chance Rides Inverter
- Surf Music - Family water slide
- Bamba - Calypso ride with 16 two-passenger gondolas
- La Coccinelle - Zierer junior steel roller coaster
- Le Grand Soleil - Ferris wheel
- Carrousel - Merry-go-round
- Melody Road - Car ride
- Mini Ferme - Small area where guests can interact with different farm animals
- Radja River - River rapids ride
- Tam Tam Tour - Relaxing tow boat ride in a jungle decor
- Wab Tour - Miniature railway ride
- La Chevauchée
- On Air
- Be Bop
- Wab Band Tour