Walk off the Earth
|Walk Off the Earth|
|Origin||Burlington, Ontario, Canada|
|Genres||Indie rock, alternative rock, reggae rock, ska, folk|
|Associated acts||Gianni and Sarah, G Spot Tornado, Pink Belly, The Creepshow|
Gianni "Luminati" Nicassio
Mike "Beard guy" Taylor
|Past members||Peter Kirkwood|
Walk Off the Earth is a Canadian independent alternative rock, ska, and reggae rock band from Burlington, Ontario. They are known for their music videos of covers and originals. The band is well known for its covers of pop genre music on YouTube, making use of instruments such as the ukulele and the theremin, as well as looping samples. The band's recorded music and videos are produced by member and multi-instrumentalist, Gianni "Luminati" Nicassio.
Walk Off the Earth was formed in 2006 in Burlington. The band began releasing music independently. The band created cover versions of the songs of The Gregory Brothers. The video of the band's live cover of Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know" gathered over 175 million views in four months on YouTube in early 2012. and received positive responses from both Gotye and his co-singer on the song, Kimbra. The band released an accompanying video where all five members are shown playing on one guitar. The production was taken from the 26th cut of a 14-hour session. Ellen DeGeneres featured the band on her January 23, 2012 show where they played live, again on one guitar; they were also included in YouTube Rewind 2012 "Rewind YouTube Style 2012", doing a part of their one guitar acoustic version of "Gangnam Style".
In February 2012, the band signed a recording contract with Columbia Records. They appeared in the Season 4 premiere of CTV's The Listener, performing two songs and socializing with the main characters in the bar. They also covered "Rude" by Magic!, "Hello" by Adele, "Party Rock Anthem" by LMFAO, "Payphone" by Maroon 5, and "Roll Up" by Wiz Khalifa.
In December 2012, Walk Off the Earth released an original single titled "Gang of Rhythm". They uploaded a cover of Taylor Swift's "I Knew You Were Trouble" to YouTube in January 2013, with four of the five band members and guest beatboxer KRNFX using only vocals.
On March 11, 2013, Rolling Stone magazine streamed their unreleased R.E.V.O. album in its entirety. The full-length R.E.V.O. album was released on March 19, 2013, after which they commenced in the R.E.V.O. Tour through the US and Europe. They began another US and Europe tour, Gang of Rhythm, in 2014. The most recent tour was the Sing It All Away tour through Europe and North America, which began in 2015.
The band's YouTube video of Lorde's "Royals" was featured in the 2014 Grammy Awards. The band's original single "Gang of Rhythm" was chosen as the theme song for the Catalan TV show El Foraster. The group were also featured on the soundtrack of the 2015 animated film La Guerre des tuques 3D, performing the song "You're My Sweater".
Walk Off the Earth won a 2016 Juno award for Group of the Year.
In August 2017, the band's single "Fire in My Soul" was certified gold.
This section does not cite any sources. (July 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Current members
- Gianni "Luminati" Nicassio – bass, guitar, ukulele, banjo, mandolin, drums, vocals, theremin, glockenspiel, piano, cajon, cello, bongos, harmonica, double bass, percussion, kazoo, keyboards, melodica, beatbox, kalimba, harpejji, whirly tube, producer
- Sarah Blackwood – guitar, ukulele, vocals, bass, glockenspiel, percussion, piano, mandolin, kazoo, harpejji, pan flute, whirly tube
- Ryan Marshall – guitar, bass, trumpet, harmonica, vocals, ukulele, piano, glockenspiel, percussion, kazoo, bongos, whirly tube
- Mike "Beard Guy" Taylor – piano, keyboards, organ, vocals, xylophone, glockenspiel, melodica, trumpet, didgeridoo, accordion, kazoo, euphonium, slide whistle
- Joel Cassady – drums, cajon, bongos, congas, percussion, vocals, bass, organ, piano, spoons, ukulele, guitar, kalimba, harpejji, whirly tube, sampling, mixing, producer
- Touring members
- Lee Williamson- guitar, banjo, bass, mandolin, ukulele
- James "Ervy" Ervin - trumpet, percussion
- Zach Gerber - drums, guitar, bass, vocals, percussion
- Past members
- Pete Kirkwood – drums, vocals, percussion
Awards and nominations
|2013||Juno Awards||Breakthrough Group of the Year||Nominated|
|Video of the Year — Little Boxes||Nominated|
|CASBY Awards||Molson Canadian Favourite New Artist||Won|
|YouTube Music Awards||Response of the Year||Nominated|
|2014||Juno Awards||Group of the Year||Nominated|
|Pop Album of the Year — R.E.V.O.||Nominated|
|Juno Fan Choice Award||Nominated|
|Canadian Radio Music Awards||Best New Group or Solo Artist: Mainstream AC||Nominated|
|Best New Group or Solo Artist: Hot AC||Won|
|Best New Group or Solo Artist: CHR||Won|
|SOCAN Song of the Year — Red Hands||Won|
|2016||Juno Awards||Juno Fan Choice Award||Nominated|
|Pop Album of the Year — Sing It All Away||Nominated|
|Group of the Year||Won|
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions||Certifications||Sales|
|Smooth Like Stone on a Beach||
|Sing It All Away||
|"—" denotes an album that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
- 2012: R.E.V.O. (EP)
- 2013: iTunes Session
- 2014: A Walk Off the Earth Christmas EP
- 2015: Sing It All Away
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Certifications||Album|
|"Somebody That I Used to Know"||2012||13||30||30||12||80||48||9||45||80||9||
|"Gang of Rhythm"||2013||60||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|"Rule the World"||2015||22||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||
||Sing It All Away|
|"Hold On (The Break)"||2016||66||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|"Fire in My Soul"||77||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||TBA|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
- "Columbia signs Walk Off The Earth". Crazed Hits. Archived from the original on 10 February 2012. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- Cashmere, Paul (9 January 2012). "Gotye Cover Inspires Russell Crowe To Pitch To Walk Off The Earth". Noise11. Retrieved 9 January 2012.
- "Twitter post by Gotye". Retrieved 8 January 2012.
- Cashmere, Paul (8 January 2012). "Kimbra Impressed With Gotye Cover By Walk Off The Earth". Noise11. Retrieved 8 January 2012.
- CTV Edmonton (Jan 13, 2012). "Ont. band Walk Off the Earth has viral YouTube hit". CTV News. BellMedia. Retrieved 14 January 2012.
- Lester, Paul (April 25, 2013). "Walk Off the Earth (No 1,500)". The Guardian (online). United Kingdom: Guardian News and Media. Retrieved 2014-01-02.
- "Walk Off The Earth's "I Knew You Were Trouble" Cover Goes Viral". Metro Lyrics. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- "2016 Juno Awards: The complete list of winners". Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- "Issues - Walk off the Earth Feat. Myles and Briar (Julia Michaels Cover)", YouTube Channel, 20 March 2017, retrieved 12 July 2017
- Whirling sound tubes also called Sound Hoses or Whirly Tubes can be made of various size and the physics is explained nicely in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuGnsW0ysrA
- "Walk Off the Earth Album > Album & Song Chart History > Canadian Albums". Billboard Nielsen Business Media. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- Ryan, Gavin (June 27, 2015). "ARIA Albums: Ed Sheeran X Returns To No 1". Noise11. Retrieved January 4, 2017.
- "Walk Off The Earth". Ö3 Austria Top 40 (in German). Hung Medien.
- "Walk Off the Earth". MegaCharts (in Dutch). Hung Medien.
- "Walk Off the Earth". Schweizer Hitparade.
- "Walk Off the Earth Album & Song Chart History". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-08-11.
- "Canadian album certifications – Walk Off the Earth – R.E.V.O". Music Canada.
- "Upcoming Releases". Hits Daily Double. HITS Digital Ventures. Archived from the original on May 15, 2015.
- "A Journal of Musical ThingsWeekly Music News Sales Report and Analysis: 24 June 2015 - A Journal of Musical Things". A Journal of Musical Things. Retrieved 13 April 2016.
- LesCharts.com French and European chart positions for Walk Off The Earth's version "Somebody That I Used to Know"
- "Chart Search". Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles for Walk Off the Earth. Retrieved June 28, 2015.
- "Canadian digital download certifications – Walk Off the Earth – Somebody That I Used to Know". Music Canada.
- "Canadian digital download certifications – Walk Off the Earth – Red Hands". Music Canada.
- "Canadian digital download certifications – Walk Off the Earth – Rule the World". Music Canada.
- "Walk Off The Earth: Fire In My Soul - Music on Google Play". Google Play Music. Google. Retrieved December 30, 2016.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Walk off the Earth|