Walker County, Georgia
|Walker County, Georgia|
Walker County Courthouse in LaFayette
Location in the state of Georgia
Georgia's location in the U.S.
|Founded||December 18, 1833|
|• Total||447 sq mi (1,158 km2)|
|• Land||446 sq mi (1,155 km2)|
|• Water||0.6 sq mi (2 km2), 0.1%|
|• Density||154/sq mi (59/km²)|
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Walker County is a county located in the U.S. state of Georgia. As of the 2010 census, the population was 68,756. The county seat is LaFayette. The county was created on December 18, 1833, from land formerly belonging to the Cherokee Indian Nation.
Walker County is one of only nine counties in the United States still employing the sole commissioner form of government.
Civil War battles fought in Walker County were part of the Chickamauga Campaign fought between August 21 and September 20, 1863:
- Second Battle of Chattanooga, August 21.
- Battle of Davis's Cross Roads, September 10–11.
- Battle of Chickamauga, September 19–20.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 447 square miles (1,160 km2), of which 446 square miles (1,160 km2) is land and 0.6 square miles (1.6 km2) (0.1%) is water. Northern Walker County is in the Tennessee River basin and southern Walker is in the Coosa River basin.
Natural attractions and features
- Chattahoochee National Forest (part)
- Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park (part)
- Lookout Mountain (part)
- Petty John's Cave
- Ellison's Cave (12th deepest cave in the United States)
- Rock City
- Chattanooga Southern Railway (became Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia Railway)
- Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia Railway (purchased by Norfolk Southern then abandoned)
- Chickamauga and Durham Railroad (reorganized as Chattanooga & Durham)
- Chattanooga and Durham Railroad (purchased by Chattanooga, Rome and Southern)
- Chattanooga, Rome and Southern Railroad (purchased by Central of GA Railway)
- Central of Georgia Railway (purchased by Southern Railway)
- Southern Railway (purchased by Norfolk Southern, Walker County line transferred to State of Georgia, leased to Chattooga and Chickamauga Railway)
|U.S. Decennial Census
As of the census of 2000, there were 61,053 people, 23,605 households, and 17,467 families residing in the county. The population density was 137 people per square mile (53/km²). There were 25,577 housing units at an average density of 57 per square mile (22/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 94.43% White, 3.78% Black or African American, 0.29% Native American, 0.28% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.36% from other races, and 0.84% from two or more races. 0.93% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 23,605 households out of which 32.60% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.80% were married couples living together, 12.00% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.00% were non-families. 22.90% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.40% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the county the population was spread out with 24.80% under the age of 18, 8.70% from 18 to 24, 28.80% from 25 to 44, 23.90% from 45 to 64, and 13.80% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 94.40 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.90 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $32,406, and the median income for a family was $39,034. Males had a median income of $29,448 versus $21,583 for females. The per capita income for the county was $15,867. About 10.00% of families and 12.50% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.10% of those under age 18 and 11.70% of those age 65 or over.
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Walker County, Georgia
- Northwest Georgia Joint Development Authority
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 27, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "Walker County". Calhoun Times. 1 September 2004. p. 106. Retrieved 26 April 2015.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 27, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved June 27, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 27, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 27, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- City of Chickamauga
- City of LaFayette
- City of Rossville
- City of Lookout Mountain, Ga.
- Walker County Messenger
- WQCH Radio
- Walker County, GA, genealogy
||Hamilton County, Tennessee||Catoosa County|
|Dade County||Whitfield County|
|DeKalb County, Alabama||Floyd County and Chattooga County||Gordon County|