Stapleton addressing an audience in 2017.
|Treasurer of Colorado|
January 11, 2011
|Preceded by||Cary Kennedy|
|Born||April 15, 1974|
|Education||Williams College (BA)
London School of Economics
Harvard University (MBA)
Walker Stapleton (born April 15, 1974) is serving in his second term as Colorado's State Treasurer. He was elected on November 2, 2010 after defeating incumbent Cary Kennedy with 50.73% of the vote and reelected on November 4, 2014, defeating former Congresswoman Betsy Markey and one other candidate, winning 49.9% of the vote.
Walker Stapleton's family has been active in Colorado since the early 1900s. Walker graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, and he holds a graduate degree in business economics from the London School of Economics and an MBA from Harvard Business School. He is the son of diplomat Craig Roberts Stapleton. His great-grandfather Benjamin F. Stapleton served as mayor of Denver.
Stapleton began his private sector career in 1997 at Hambrecht & Quist as an investment banker. Two years later he became Director of Business Development for Live365. He subsequently served as CEO and CFO of various private and publicly traded companies, until assuming office in 2011.
|Colorado Treasurer Republican Primary Election, 2010|
|Republican||J. J. Ament||174,992||49.10|
|Colorado Treasurer Election, 2010|
|Democratic||Cary Kennedy (inc.)||842,877||49.30|
|Colorado Treasurer Election, 2014|
|Republican||Walker Stapleton (inc.)||979,281||49.87|
- Ballotpedia. Walker Stapleton. Retrieved: 2017-03-10.
- Bartels, Lynn (25 April 2011). "Stapleton! Everywhere you look". The Denver Post. Retrieved 1 August 2017.
- Bunch, Joey (20 April 2014). "Jeb Bush, Walker Stapleton benefit mutually from family ties in Colorado". The Denver Post. Retrieved 1 August 2017.
- "EDITORIAL: Attack on Stapleton unfair". The Gazette. 24 May 2015. Retrieved 1 August 2017.
He is a successful businessman with a Harvard MBA, a graduate degree from the London School of Economics and a proven record of good results.
- Marcus, Peter (29 September 2014). "Treasurer candidates divided on fund for retirement". The Durango Herald. Retrieved 1 August 2017.
Stapleton’s family is also no stranger to numbers and public policy.
- "Walker R. Stapleton". Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- "Walker Stapleton State Treasurer, State Of Colorado". Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- "Walker R. Stapleton: Colorado treasurer". Daily Camera. 10 October 2014. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- Aspen Institute-Rodel Fellowship Class of 2014
|Treasurer of Colorado