|56th Treasurer of Colorado|
January 11, 2011 – January 8, 2019
|Preceded by||Cary Kennedy|
|Succeeded by||Dave Young|
|Born||April 15, 1974|
Washington, D.C., U.S.
|Relatives||Craig Roberts Stapleton (Father)|
Benjamin F. Stapleton (paternal great-grandfather)
George Herbert Walker (maternal great-grandfather)
|Education||Williams College (BA)|
London School of Economics
Harvard University (MBA)
Walker Stapleton (born April 15, 1974) is an American politician who served two terms as Colorado's State Treasurer from 2011 to 2019. Stapleton was the Republican nominee for the 2018 Colorado gubernatorial election, which he lost to Democrat Jared Polis.
Early life and family
Stapleton's family has been active in Colorado since the early 1900s. Walker was born in Washington, D.C., and grew up in Greenwich, Connecticut, attending the private Brunswick School. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, and holds a graduate degree in business economics from the London School of Economics and an MBA from Harvard Business School.
Stapleton's mother, Dorothy Walker Stapleton, is a first cousin of former U.S. President George H. W. Bush, making him a second cousin of former U.S. President George W. Bush and former Florida governor Jeb Bush. He has maintained close ties to the Bush family and credits George H. W. Bush for inspiring him to enter politics. His father is diplomat Craig Roberts Stapleton. His great-grandfather, Benjamin F. Stapleton, served as mayor of Denver from 1923 to 1931.
Stapleton began his private sector career in 1997 at Hambrecht & Quist as an investment banker. Two years later he became Director of Business Development for Live365. He subsequently served as CEO and CFO of various private and publicly traded companies, until assuming office in 2011.
|Colorado Treasurer Republican Primary Election, 2010|
|Republican||J. J. Ament||174,992||49.10|
|Colorado Treasurer Election, 2010|
|Democratic||Cary Kennedy (inc.)||842,877||49.30|
|Colorado Treasurer Election, 2014|
|Republican||Walker Stapleton (inc.)||979,281||49.87|
|Colorado Gubernatorial Election, 2018|
- Ballotpedia. Walker Stapleton. Retrieved: 2017-03-10.
- Frank, John (26 June 2018). "Jared Polis, Walker Stapleton face off in a Colorado governor's race that became testy from the start". Denver Post. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- Bartels, Lynn (25 April 2011). "Stapleton! Everywhere you look". The Denver Post. Retrieved 1 August 2017.
- Bunch, Joey (20 April 2014). "Jeb Bush, Walker Stapleton benefit mutually from family ties in Colorado". The Denver Post. Retrieved 1 August 2017.
- Bianchi, Chris (14 June 2018). "Walker Stapleton Is From a Loaded Connecticut Suburb — Just Like Me". Westword. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- The Sentinel (14 December 2017). "Walker Stapleton celebrates the fourth too early; and a school by any other name would be better". Aurora Sentinel. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "EDITORIAL: Attack on Stapleton unfair". The Gazette. 24 May 2015. Retrieved 1 August 2017.
He is a successful businessman with a Harvard MBA, a graduate degree from the London School of Economics and a proven record of good results.
- Walker Stapleton wishes his cousin George H.W. Bush “could live forever”
- Marcus, Peter (29 September 2014). "Treasurer candidates divided on fund for retirement". The Durango Herald. Retrieved 1 August 2017.
Stapleton’s family is also no stranger to numbers and public policy.
- "Walker R. Stapleton". Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- "Walker Stapleton State Treasurer, State Of Colorado". Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- "Walker R. Stapleton: Colorado treasurer". Daily Camera. 10 October 2014. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- Aspen Institute-Rodel Fellowship Class of 2014
| Treasurer of Colorado
|Party political offices|
| Republican nominee for Governor of Colorado
Whitney family of Connecticut