A mixed breed using Walkin' Wheels dog wheelchair
|Inventor||Mark C. Robinson|
|Manufacturer||Walkin' Pets by HandicappedPets.com|
||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Overview and construction
It is the first adjustable (contrary to custom made) dog wheelchair in the market designed to help pets with mobility problems including degenerative myelopathy, arthritis, paralysis, neurological disorders and more.
Neoprene or fabric harness is clipped to an aluminum frame. The frame is attached to wheels which replace the function of the rear legs, allowing the dog mobility. Wheels are interchangeable, so that the dog wheelchair can be used on different sized dogs, or dogs that are growing. A knuckle mechanism allows the angle of the wheel to be changed based on the health of the animal, and for the dog wheelchair to fold flat for easy transportation.
- 2009, Award for Best Innovation in the category of animal health and integration of pets in society at Mascota Pet Festival & Expo, the biggest pet event in Spain.
- 2009, The silver Retailer Select Award from Pet Age magazine.
- "Adjustable wheelchair for pets ", United States Patent and Trademark Office, Retrieved on 2011-5-19.
- "Disabled Dogs Get Helping Hand from HandicappedPets.com", Business NH Magazine, Retrieved on 2011-5-19.
- "Dog Wheelchair Comparisons", New England Cable News, Retrieved on 2011-5-19.
- "NH company makes One-size-fits all pet wheelchair", Dogs with Disabilities, Retrieved on 2011-5-19.
- "Dog Wheelchair Helps keep pets active", Pet Gazette, Retrieved on 2011-5-19.
- "Paralyzed Dog Climbs Mt. Washington", Fox News, Retrieved on 2011-5-19.
- "Wheelchair Helps Disabled Dog Stay Mobile", WMUR New Hampshire, Retrieved on 2011-5-19.
- Lloyd, Janice "Police dog is retired with new set of wheels", USA Today, Retrieved on 2011-5-19.
- "Paralyzed dog uses wheelchair", CNN, Retrieved on 2011-5-19.
- "Underdog to Wonderdog: Faith", Animal Planet, Retrieved on 2011-5-19.
- Sacks, Amy "News helps paralyzed pooch walk with special hind-legs aid device", Daily News, Retrieved on 2011-5-19.
- "New products competition", Salon Mascota, Retrieved on 2011-5-19.
- "Walkin’ Wheels Dog Wheelchair – Top Award", Dog Net News, Retrieved on 2011-5-19.
- "Backer Show Brings in the Buyers", Pet Age Magazine, Retrieved on 2011-5-19.