|Industry||Coach Tour Operator|
Wallace Arnold was one of the UK's largest holiday motorcoach tour operators.
Wallace Arnold was founded in 1912 and was named after its founders Wallace Cunningham and Arnold Crowe.
When coach services were deregulated by the Transport Act 1980 in October 1980, Wallace Arnold was a founding member of the British Coachways consortium that competed with the state-owned National Express. It left after a year and briefly ran its own service from London to Torbay.
In April 2005, Wallace Arnold merged with Shearings to become WA Shearings. In 2007 the Wallace Arnold name was dropped and now the company is known as Shearings Holidays. The merger included eight travel shops in Yorkshire, rebranded from Wallace Arnold Travel to WA Shearings. These kept the WA Shearings name until 2010, when they reverted to their original Wallace Arnold Travel name.
Wallace Arnold was the largest operator of the Bedford VAL 3 axle coach. After becoming a large Leyland Leopard and Volvo B58 customer, in later years it standardised on Volvo B10M and Volvo B12Ms, mostly with Jonckheere and Plaxton bodies.
- Companies House extract company no 177672 Wallace Arnold Tours Limited
- Brown, Jonathan (16 November 2012). "Wallace Arnold Coach Tours: Drivers to descend on Yorkshire for centenary". Yorkshire Evening Post.
- Evan Evans sells out Commercial Motor 14 February 1969 page 33
- Wallace Arnold's Spanish 'Greyhound' Commercial Motor 27 January 1978 page 28
- Volvo to Moscow Commercial Motor 2 February 1979 page 24
- WA's new timetable Commercial Motor 22 March 1980 page 24
- BC starts on October 6 Commercial Motor 27 September 1980 page 24
- Too many seats go west Commercial Motor 30 January 1982 page 13
- Family feud at Barr & Wallace Arnold The Independent 15 October 1994
- Coach duo try to revive merger deal The Telegraph 24 January 2005
- UK coach groups geared for merger BBC News 1 February 2005
- Merger clearance for WA Shearings Bus & Coach Professional 1 April 2005
- Coach operator rebrands as Shearings Holidays Travel Weekly 13 September 2007
- Shearings revives the Wallace Arnold brand TTG Digital 29 April 2010
- More for Wallace Commercial Motor 19 April 1990 page 18
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wallace Arnold.|