Wallasey Grove Road railway station
|Wallasey Grove Road|
A Merseyrail Class 507 at Wallasey Grove Road.
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Passenger Transport Executive|
|1888||Opened as Wallasey|
|31 May 1948||Renamed as Wallasey Grove Road|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Wallasey Grove Road from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
The station was built on the Wirral Railway's route from Birkenhead Park to New Brighton, opening as a temporary terminus from 2 January to 30 March 1888. Through services via the Mersey Railway Tunnel to Liverpool commenced in 1938, when the London Midland and Scottish Railway electrified the line.
The station is staffed, during all opening hours, and has platform CCTV. There is a payphone, a vending machine and a waiting room on platform 1, a booking office, live departure and arrival screens, for passenger information, and each of the two platforms also has a further sheltered waiting area. The station has a free "Park and Ride" car park with 168 spaces, a drop-off point, a cycle rack with six spaces and secure storage for 20 cycles. Both platforms can be easily accessed by separate entrances, which are a 250 metres (270 yd) walk apart, without the use of staircases. However, there is no easier access, cross-platform, for passengers with wheelchairs or prams, as other access is by staircase only.
Current service levels are every 15 minutes to Liverpool and New Brighton during Monday to Saturday daytime, and every 30 minutes at other times. These services are all provided by Merseyrail's fleet of Class 507 and Class 508 EMUs.
Wallasey Grove Road has been adopted by the Edible Wirral Partnership for the growing of fresh fruits and vegetables on the station's platforms.
- Mitchell & Smith 2013, map XXXIX
- Mitchell & Smith 2013, fig. 111
- Station Facilities for Wallasey Grove Road Accessed 2013-12-19
- Wallasey Grove Road Plan Accessed 2013-12-19
- Wallasey Grove Road train station, Merseyrail Accessed 2017-02-27
- "Wirral Line timetable" (PDF). Merseyrail. Retrieved 2013-12-18.
- "Vegetables bloom at Wallasey Grove Road station". Wirral Globe. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- Mitchell, Vic; Smith, Keith (2013). Wrexham to New Brighton. West Sussex: Middleton Press. ISBN 9781908174475. OCLC 859543196.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wallasey Grove Road railway station.|
- Station information for Wallasey Grove Road railway station from Merseyrail
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Line open, station closed
|London, Midland and Scottish Railway
Line and station open