Wallasey Village railway station
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Passenger Transport Executive|
|1907||Opened (as Leasowe Road)|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Wallasey Village from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
The station was built on the Wirral Railway's route from Birkenhead Park to New Brighton, opening in 1907 under the name Leasowe Road. Through services via the Mersey Railway Tunnel to Liverpool commenced when the line was electrified in 1938 by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway. The station was rebuilt following extensive damage during World War II.
The station is staffed, during all opening hours, and has platform CCTV. There is a payphone on platform 1, a booking office, live departure and arrival screens, for passenger information, and each of the two platforms has a waiting room. Being close to the centre of Wallasey Village, itself, the station doesn't have a free car park or a cycle rack. There is no access, to the platform, for passengers with wheelchairs or prams, as access is by staircase only. In 2006, according to a Transport 2000 survey, the station was considered as a weak link, with regard to access. As yet, platform access has not been modernised to the standard of that at Hooton.
Current service levels are every 15 minutes to Liverpool and New Brighton during Monday to Saturday daytime, and every 30 minutes at other times. These services are all provided by Merseyrail's fleet of Class 507 and Class 508 EMUs.
The station connects to the major bus routes on Leasowe Road.
- Mitchell & Smith 2013, map XXXVII
- Mitchell & Smith 2013, fig. 109
- "Station Facilities for Wallasey Village". National Rail. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- "Wallasey Village Station Plan". National Rail. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- Fenna, Kelly (4 September 2007). "Station is weakest link say commuters". Wirral Globe. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "Wirral Line timetable" (PDF). Merseyrail. Retrieved 2013-12-18.
- Mitchell, Vic; Smith, Keith (2013). Wrexham to New Brighton. West Sussex: Middleton Press. ISBN 9781908174475. OCLC 859543196.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wallasey Village railway station.|
- Station information for Wallasey Village railway station from Merseyrail
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
|Wallasey Grove Road
towards New Brighton
towards Liverpool Central