Wallback, West Virginia
|Wallback, West Virginia|
|Counties||Clay and Roane|
|Elevation||764 ft (233 m)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Area code(s)||304 & 681|
|GNIS feature ID||1555908|
Wallback is an unincorporated community in Clay and Roane counties, West Virginia, United States. Wallback is located at the junction of Interstate 79 and West Virginia Route 36, 7.5 miles (12.1 km) north-northwest of Clay. Wallback has a post office with ZIP code 25285.
The community is named for John de Barth Walbach, an Alsatian hussar of the French Revolutionary Wars who became an aide to Alexander Hamilton, rose to Adjutant General of the United States during the War of 1812, and was the oldest acting officer in U.S. history. Walbach inherited 10,000 acres on the Elk River from his father, Count Jean-Joseph de Barth, who led the "French 500"  fleeing the French Revolution and founding Gallipolis, Ohio.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Wallback, West Virginia
- ZIP Code Lookup
- "The French 500". Gallia County Genealogical Society.
- Smith, William Henry (1882). "The St. Clair Papers: The Life and Public Services of Arthur St. Clair, Soldier of the Revolutionary War; President of the Continental Congress; and Governor of the North-western Territory; with His Correspondence and Other Papers". p. 195. Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- "Prospects for the Gallipolis Settlement: French Diplomatic Dispatches". 1994. pp. 41–56.
- "New Hampshire Gazette". 1 July 1834.
- "Death of the Oldest Soldier in the Army". Richmond Dispatch. 12 June 1857.
- "Political Mirror Virginia" (PDF). 1801.
- Kenny, Hamill (1945). West Virginia Place Names: Their Origin and Meaning, Including the Nomenclature of the Streams and Mountains. Piedmont, WV: The Place Name Press. p. 656.
|This article about a location in Clay County, West Virginia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a location in Roane County, West Virginia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|