Walled Lake Western High School
|Walled Lake Western High School|
|600 Beck Road
Walled Lake, Michigan 48390
|Type||Public High School|
|Motto||Academic Excellence for a Global Society|
|School district||Walled Lake Consolidated Schools|
|Number of students||1,411|
|Color(s)||Royal Blue & Silver|
|Rivals||Walled Lake Central
Walled Lake Northern
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools |
|Feeder schools||James R Geisler Middle School
Sarah Banks Middle School
Walnut Creek Middle School
|Affiliation||Kensington Lakes Activities Association|
Walled Lake Western High School (also known as “Walled Lake Western”, “Western”, or “WLW”), is a secondary school of the Walled Lake Consolidated School District, located in Commerce Township, Michigan in Greater Detroit.
Opened in 1969, Walled Lake Western was the second high school in Walled Lake. Western's mascot is the Warrior and the school colors are Royal Blue and Silver (Scarlet was integrated as a school color from 1983 to 2004). Kirsten Haglund, who graduated in 2006, was named Miss America 2008. The International Baccalaureate program started in the 2012-2013 school year for grades 11 and 12.
In 2009, Walled Lake Western High School was ranked in the top 5% of all schools in the nation by Newsweek magazine. The ranking is calculated by the “number of Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate and/or Cambridge tests taken by all students at a school in 2008 divided by the number of graduating seniors." Beginning in the fall of 2013, Western will begin the International Baccalaureate Diploma program for 11th and 12th grade students as an alternative to AP Testing.
Western belongs to the Kensington Lakes Activities Association. In 1984, the Warriors baseball team captured the school's first state championship. The football team won the state title in 1996, and again in 1999 (USA Today 11th ranked in country). Their field is known as Warrior Stadium due to the school's nickname.
- Craig DeRoche - Former Speaker of the Michigan House of Representatives.
- Kirsten Haglund - Miss Michigan 2007 and Miss America 2008.
- David Booth - NHL player for the Vancouver Canucks.
Notes and references
- "Student Count Snapshot". mischooldata.org. Retrieved 25 March 2015.
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Archived from the original on March 15, 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- "Zoning Map." (Map) Commerce Township, Michigan. Retrieved on November 8, 2012.
- "Western H.S." (Archive) Walled Lake Consolidated School District. Retrieved on November 8, 2012.
- "Community Facilities." (Archive) City of Walled Lake. Retrieved on November 8, 2012.
- "Street Map." (Archive) City of Wixom. Retrieved on November 8, 2012.
- "Elementary Attendance Areas." (Archive) City of Novi. Retrieved on November 8, 2012. Archived October 20, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- Murray, Diana Dillaber (June 13, 2009). "16 Oakland schools make Newsweek’s top 1,500 list". The Oakland Press. Retrieved November 12, 2011.
- "Yearly Champions, Baseball". MHSAA.com. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- "Yearly Champions, Football". MHSAA.com. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- "Profile: David Booth #7 Left Wing". Yahoo Sports. Retrieved November 12, 2011.