Location of Waller, Texas
|• Total||2.07 sq mi (5.35 km2)|
|• Land||2.06 sq mi (5.34 km2)|
|• Water||0.004 sq mi (0.01 km2)|
|Elevation||249 ft (76 m)|
|• Density||1,100/sq mi (430/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1349400|
Waller is a city in Texas, United States, partly in Waller County and partly in Harris County within the Houston–The Woodlands–Sugar Land metropolitan area. The population was 2,326 at the 2010 census. The Waller area is located along U.S. Highway 290 (Northwest Freeway) 41 miles (66 km) northwest of Downtown Houston.
Waller is located at  Most land development within Waller is located near the historic town center. However, businesses oriented toward travelers are beginning to locate along the U.S. Highway 290 corridor.(30.058752, -95.926336).
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Waller has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,092 people, 768 households, and 530 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,401.1 people per square mile (542.1/km²). There were 842 housing units at an average density of 563.9 per square mile (218.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 66.20% White, 21.70% African American, 0.29% Native American, 0.86% Asian, 9.89% from other races, and 1.05% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 20.17% of the population.
There were 768 households out of which 37.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.0% were married couples living together, 14.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.9% were non-families. 21.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.72 and the average family size was 3.19.
In the city the population was spread out with 28.9% under the age of 18, 15.4% from 18 to 24, 28.5% from 25 to 44, 17.7% from 45 to 64, and 9.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 29 years. For every 100 females there were 98.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.5 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $33,162, and the median income for a family was $42,569. Males had a median income of $30,337 versus $21,250 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,860. About 14.3% of families and 18.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 26.9% of those under age 18 and 11.3% of those age 65 or over.
Waller is the current residence of Daniel Johnston, cult singer-songwriter.
Government and infrastructure
The Waller Times is the only newspaper in Waller and is located at 2323 Main Street and at www.thewallertimes.com.
Waller is served by the award-winning Waller Independent School District.
Schools serving the city of Waller include:
- Waller High School (unincorporated Harris County)
- Waller Junior High School (Waller)
- Wayne C. Schultz Middle School (unincorporated Harris County)
- I. T. Holleman Elementary School (Waller)
- Roberts Road Elementary School (Hockley)
- Turlington Elementary School (unincorporated Harris County)
- Jones Elementary School
- Fields Store Elementary
- Daniel Johnston, musician
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Waller city, Texas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 26, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Waller city, Texas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 26, 2012.
- Climate Summary for Waller, Texas
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Post Office Location - WALLER." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on December 6, 2008.
- City of Waller official website
- City of Waller Economic Development Corporation
- Waller Independent School District
- Handbook of Texas Online