|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009)|
|Circulation||100,460 (ABC Jul - Dec 2013)
Print and digital editions.
|Company||IPC Media, Time Inc.|
The magazine was launched in 1996 by Canadian journalist Tyler Brûlé and Austrian journalist Alexander Geringer, in London, UK. Brûlé sold the magazine to Time Warner in 1997. He stayed on as editorial director until 2002. 2007 saw the appointment of a new editor-in-chief, Tony Chambers, a self-styled "visual journalist". Through his stewardship Wallpaper* has become the world’s most important design and lifestyle magazine brand.
Wallpaper*'s website was launched in 2004 as an arm of the magazine. Since then the website has grown exponentially in line with the rise of online media. Rather than publishing reformatted material from the magazine, it covers breaking news across design, interior, art, architecture, fashion, travel, and technology. It also publishes exclusive online features, interviews, blogs from global events by Wallpaper editors, and a wide range of visual galleries. It claims on average over 635,000 unique users per month. Aside from producing the monthly magazine and website, Wallpaper* also publishes global city guide books with Phaidon Press. There are 80 different cities currently available, and more are being published later in the year. The city guides are published in English and there are also editions available in French, Italian, Spanish, German, Portuguese, and Japanese.
In September 2005, Wallpaper* launched the "Wallpaper* Thai Edition"
In 2007, to celebrate its 100th issue and reflect its multi-platform status, the logo's asterisk acquired a cursor (pictured at right) in place of one of its arms.
In August 2008, Wallpaper* launched the Wallpaper* Selects website in collaboration with contemporary online art retailer Eyestorm. Wallpaper Selects sells a selection of limited-edition photographs from the Wallpaper* archive, signed by the photographer.
In July 2011 launched an iPad edition of the magazine which is available via the iTunes store.
In January 2012 Wallpaper*launched a Chinese language edition.
In October 2015 Wallpaper* celebrated its 200th issue since starting its print in 1996
In November 2015 Wallpaper* US Bespoke was launched
Wallpaper Design Awards
Wallpaper has an annual awards programme. In 2010, it had 66 categories.
- "ABC Certificates and Reports: Wallpaper*". Audit Bureau of Circulations. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "Mr Tony Chambers, Editor-in-chief, Wallpaper*, London". Mr Porter. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "Unseen interviews: Wallpaper* Editor-in-Chief Tony Chambers". Unseen. 15 June 2012. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- Portfolio Projects: Popdetail Wallpaper. Retrieved 2010-04-21.
- Wallpaper City Guides Wallpaper. Retrieved 21 April 2010.
- Journalism.co.uk :: Jeremy Langmead to edit Esquire magazine
- Marcus von Ackermann
- "Wallpaper* Magazine: 设计•装饰•时尚•艺术•生活". Wallpaper magazine. Retrieved 16 October 2012.
- "Design Awards 2010: the winners". Wallpaper. Retrieved 21 April 2010.