Wallsend Slipway & Engineering Company
|Headquarters||Point Pleasant, UK|
Wallsend Slipway & Engineering Company Ltd was formerly an independent company, located on the River Tyne at Point Pleasant, near Wallsend, Tyne & Wear, around a mile downstream from the Swan Hunter shipyard, with which it later merged.
The Company was formed by Charles Mitchell, a shipbuilder, in November 1871 as The Wallsend Slipway Co. with the objective of repairing the shipping vessels of various shipowners with whom he had recently established a business relationship.
One of the first ships repaired was the Earl Percy berthed in 1873.
In 1874 Willam Boyd was appointed managing director and it was Boyd who introduced marine engine building to the firm - this becoming over the next decade its most important activity - which brought the words 'Engineering' into the full title of the firm which then became ' The Wallsend Slipway and Engineering Co Ltd'. In 1903 Swan Hunter took a controlling interest in the Company.
In 1977 the business was nationalised and became part of British Shipbuilders. The site then passed to AMEC which operated it as part of an offshore facility known as the Hadrian Yard: it was responsible for pre-fabricated construction of the Gateshead Millennium Bridge completed in 2001 and also conducted fitting out of the Bonga FPSO in 2003.
- North East England History
- Tomorrows's History
- Wallsend Slipway and William Boyd News Guardian, 16 July 2008
- Swan Hunter: History: Page 4
- AMEC completes Bonga FPSO Offshore Magazine, December 2003
- Amec to shut Tyne Yard Evening Chronicle, 30 June 2005
- Historical Hadrian Yard put on market by Amec Newcastle Journal, 23 April 2008
- Shepherd Offshore in Shipyards Deal Northern Echo, 3 November 2008
- Engineers considering second Tyneside contract Newcastle Journal 21 March 2009
- Johnston, Ian; Buxton, Ian (2013). The Battleship Builders - Constructing and Arming British Capital Ships (Hardback). Annapolis, Maryland: Naval Institute Press. ISBN 978-1-59114-027-6.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wallsend Slipway & Engineering Company.|