Walnut Ridge station
|Location||109 Southwest Front St.
Walnut Ridge, AR 72476
|Owned by||City of Walnut Ridge|
|Line(s)||Union Pacific Railroad|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Station code||Amtrak code: WNR|
September 14, 1974
|Closed||April 30, 1971|
|Passengers (2017)||3,486 4.22%|
Missouri Pacific Railroad Depot-Walnut Ridge
|Location||Walnut Ridge, Arkansas|
|Architect||Missouri Pacific Railroad|
|NRHP reference #||92000622|
|Added to NRHP||1992|
Walnut Ridge is a historic train station in Walnut Ridge, Arkansas, United States, that is currently served by Amtrak, the national railroad passenger system. It was originally a Missouri Pacific Railroad station and has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1992.
The Missouri-Pacific Railroad ended service on its crack Texas Eagle on April 30, 1971, one day before Amtrak took over passenger services. In March 1974, Amtrak's Inter-American was extended from Fort Worth to St. Louis, restoring passenger service to the Missouri-Pacific Railroad's main line. On September 15, 1974, stops were added at the former Missouri-Pacific stations in Walnut Ridge and Newport. The Inter-American was replaced by the Eagle in 1981, which in turn was renamed as the Texas Eagle in 1988.
The depot was restored in 1995 with funding made available through the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department and the Walnut Ridge Area Chamber of Commerce.
- "TEXAS EAGLE ROUTE - HISTORICAL TIMELINE". Texas Eagle Marketing and Performance Organization. Retrieved 30 May 2016.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2017, State of Arkansas" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2017. Retrieved 23 December 2017.
- National Park Service (2010-07-09). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
Media related to Walnut Ridge (Amtrak station) at Wikimedia Commons
- Amtrak – Stations – Walnut Ridge, AR
- Walnut Ridge, AR from Amtrak's TexasEagle.com
- Walnut Ridge Amtrak Station (USA Rail Guide—TrainWeb.org)
- Walnut Ridge (WNR)--Great American Stations (Amtrak)
|This Arkansas train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a property in Lawrence County, Arkansas on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|