Walnut Township, Gallia County, Ohio
|Walnut Township, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Gallia County
|• Total||41.0 sq mi (106.3 km2)|
|• Land||41.0 sq mi (106.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||886 ft (270 m)|
|• Density||22.5/sq mi (8.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086146|
Located in the southwestern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Perry Township - north
- Green Township - northeast corner
- Harrison Township - east
- Guyan Township - southeast corner
- Mason Township, Lawrence County - south
- Aid Township, Lawrence County - southwest corner
- Symmes Township, Lawrence County - west
- Greenfield Township - northwest
No municipalities are located in Walnut Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Gallia County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 465. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.