Walpole Island Indian Reserve No. 46
|Walpole Island 46|
|• Chief||Dan Miskokomon|
|• Federal riding||Lambton—Kent—Middlesex|
|• Prov. riding||Lambton—Kent—Middlesex|
|• Land||137.47 km2 (53.08 sq mi)|
|• Density||13.66/km2 (35.4/sq mi)|
|Time zone||EST (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Area code(s)||519 and 226|
Walpole Island is an island and First Nation reserve in southwestern Ontario, Canada, on the border between Ontario and Michigan in the United States. It is located in the mouth of the St. Clair River on Lake St. Clair, about 121 kilometres (75 mi) by road from Windsor, Ontario and 124 kilometres (77 mi) from Detroit, Michigan.
In addition to Walpole Island, the reserve includes Squirrel, St. Anne, Seaway, Bassett, and Potawatomi islands. It is unceded territory and is inhabited by the Ojibwe, Potawatomi, and Odawa peoples of the Walpole Island First Nation, who call it Bkejwanong, meaning "where the waters divide."
It is within the geographic region of Lambton County but independent of the county, and adjoins the municipality of Chatham-Kent and the township of St. Clair. Across the St. Clair River to the west are the United States city of Algonac, Michigan, and Clay Township. Harsen's Island, also unceded Anishinaabe territory, is now on the west side of the international border line. The border was redrawn in the 19th century following disputes between Great Britain and the United States; their governments were oblivious to the interests and rights of the Indigenous peoples living on and using these lands. Walpole Island is known as the resting place of Tecumseh, prominent 19th-century leader of the Native American tribe known as the Shawnee.
As of January 2011, the registered population of the Walpole Island First Nation is 4315 members, of whom 2213 live on the reserve, 22 live on another reserve, and 2080 live off reserve.
| 2011 population unavailable.|
- Alexander McKee - Indian Department agent who founded the Walpole Island settlement
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Walpole Island Indian Reserve No. 46.|
- "Walpole Island 46 community profile". 2011 Census data. Statistics Canada. Retrieved 2015-06-23.
- "Walpole Island, Ontario to Windsor, Ontario". Google Maps. Google. 2014. Retrieved 20 December 2014.
- "Walpole Island, Ontario to Detroit, Michigan". Google Maps. Google. 2014. Retrieved 20 December 2014.
- Walpole Island Heritage Centre - About nin.da.waab.jig
- "Walpole Island Registered Population", Indian and Northern Affairs Canada - First Nation Profiles
- "2006 Community Profiles". Canada 2006 Census. Statistics Canada. March 30, 2011. Retrieved 2011-02-24.
- "2001 Community Profiles". Canada 2001 Census. Statistics Canada. February 17, 2012. Retrieved 2011-02-24.
- Statistics Canada: 1996, 2001, 2006 census
||Harrison Township / Lake St. Clair|| Clay Township, Algonac
St. Clair River
| St. Clair Shores / Lake St. Clair
Grosse Pointe Shores
| Grosse Pointe Farms / Lake St. Clair
|Lake St. Clair