Walsh Jesuit High School
|Walsh Jesuit High School|
|4550 Wyoga Lake Road
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio 44224-1059
|Type||Private, co-educational, college preparatory|
|Motto||Men and Women for Others|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Campus size||108 acres (44 ha)|
|Color(s)||Maroon and Gold|
|Athletics||Baseball, basketball, bowling, cheerleading, cross country, football, golf, hockey, lacrosse, soccer, softball, swimming and diving, tennis, track, volleyball, and wrestling|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Average SAT scores||546 (Verbal); 549 (Math);
|Average ACT scores||26|
|Publication||The Sketch (literary magazine)|
|Affiliation||Jesuit (Detroit Province)|
Walsh Jesuit High School is a private, Jesuit high school in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, United States. Founded in 1964, the school was funded by a gift from and named after Cornelius and Jane Walsh. It has been recognized twice as a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence by the U.S. Department of Education, in 1985 and again in 2002.
Graduation requirements require coursework in English, mathematics, social studies, science, foreign language, fine arts, physical education, and theology with additional courses in computer science available. As an accredited college preparatory high school, Walsh Jesuit also provides an Advanced Placement program, preparing students to take over 18 AP tests with an 81% of test scores qualifying for college credit. All students continue on to higher education, with 99.5% attending four-year institutions throughout the United States. More than 90 percent of the class of 2007 received merit scholarships totaling nearly $20 million. Nearly 80% of Walsh's faculty members hold at least a master's degree. The average teaching experience for a Walsh Jesuit teacher is 17 years. There are 80 members of the professional staff, including five Jesuit priests.
The latest available median SAT (math + verbal) was 1136/1600; the median ACT was 26/36 – both well above state and national averages.
Walsh Jesuit has won 35 Ohio High School Athletic Association team state championships, 4th most in Ohio history. Walsh Jesuit is currently in the North Coast League, since the beginning of the 2011–12 school year.
- Boys' Cross Country – 1984, 2002 
- Boys' Baseball – 1999, 2004, 2006, 2008 
- Boys' Football – 1999 
- Boys' Wrestling – 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2000 
- Boys' Golf – 1990, 1991, 1996, 1997 
- Boys' Soccer – 1982, 1990, 2006 
- Girls' Golf – 2001, 2004, 2007 
- Girls' Soccer – 2000, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Girls' Softball – 2002, 2004, 2016 
- Girls' Basketball – 2005 
||This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability or notability policies. (November 2015)|
- Ryan Armour (1994), professional golfer on the PGA Tour
- Christopher Connor (1974), CEO of Sherwin-Williams Co.
- Connor Cook (2011), quarterback for the Michigan State Spartans and Oakland Raiders
- Steve Fitzhugh (1982), former NFL safety with the Denver Broncos
- Brock Kreitzburg (1994), member of the USA-1 four man bobsled team that placed seventh in the 2006 Winter Olympics
- Kenneth Merten (1979), United States Ambassador to Croatia
- Tim Murphy (1970), member of the United States House of Representatives
- Michael Nanchoff (2007), 8th overall pick of the Vancouver Whitecaps
- Jason Rohrer (1996), game designer
- Mike Vrabel (1993), former NFL linebacker and current linebackers coach for the Houston Texans
- National Catholic Educational Association. "Secondary School Blue Ribbon School Awardees". Archived from the original on July 27, 2011. Retrieved February 13, 2016.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2008-03-14.
- 7th state
- Walsh athletics
- News 2013
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Baseball". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Football". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Wrestling". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Softball". Retrieved 2007-02-12.