|• Total||4.54 km2 (1.75 sq mi)|
|Elevation||427 m (1,401 ft)|
|• Density||650/km2 (1,700/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Boswil, Bremgarten, Bünzen, Büttikon, Hermetschwil-Staffeln, Kallern, Uezwil, Wohlen|
Waltenschwil has an area, as of 2009[update], of 4.56 square kilometers (1.76 sq mi). Of this area, 2.58 km2 (1.00 sq mi) or 56.6% is used for agricultural purposes, while 0.95 km2 (0.37 sq mi) or 20.8% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 1.03 km2 (0.40 sq mi) or 22.6% is settled (buildings or roads), 0.02 km2 (4.9 acres) or 0.4% is either rivers or lakes.
Of the built up area, industrial buildings made up 3.1% of the total area while housing and buildings made up 12.5% and transportation infrastructure made up 4.8%. while parks, green belts and sports fields made up 1.3%. Out of the forested land, 19.5% of the total land area is heavily forested and 1.3% is covered with orchards or small clusters of trees. Of the agricultural land, 45.4% is used for growing crops and 11.0% is pastures. All the water in the municipality is in rivers and streams.
Coat of arms
Waltenschwil has a population (as of December 2018[update]) of 2,933 As of June 2009[update], 9.5% of the population are foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years (1997–2007) the population has changed at a rate of 13.4%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (95.7%), with Italian being second most common (0.9%) and Albanian being third (0.7%).
The age distribution, as of 2008[update], in Waltenschwil is; 288 children or 12.1% of the population are between 0 and 9 years old and 335 teenagers or 14.0% are between 10 and 19. Of the adult population, 261 people or 10.9% of the population are between 20 and 29 years old. 313 people or 13.1% are between 30 and 39, 462 people or 19.4% are between 40 and 49, and 339 people or 14.2% are between 50 and 59. The senior population distribution is 207 people or 8.7% of the population are between 60 and 69 years old, 130 people or 5.4% are between 70 and 79, there are 49 people or 2.1% who are between 80 and 89,and there are 2 people or 0.1% who are 90 and older.
As of 2000[update], there were 49 homes with 1 or 2 persons in the household, 327 homes with 3 or 4 persons in the household, and 389 homes with 5 or more persons in the household. As of 2000[update], there were 775 private households (homes and apartments) in the municipality, and an average of 2.6 persons per household. In 2008[update] there were 501 single family homes (or 49.5% of the total) out of a total of 1,013 homes and apartments. There were a total of 16 empty apartments for a 1.6% vacancy rate. As of 2007[update], the construction rate of new housing units was 15.4 new units per 1000 residents.
The historical population is given in the following table:
As of 2007[update], Waltenschwil had an unemployment rate of 1.82%. As of 2005[update], there were 59 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 19 businesses involved in this sector. 66 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 21 businesses in this sector. 379 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 76 businesses in this sector.
In 2000[update] there were 1,130 workers who lived in the municipality. Of these, 907 or about 80.3% of the residents worked outside Waltenschwil while 183 people commuted into the municipality for work. There were a total of 406 jobs (of at least 6 hours per week) in the municipality. Of the working population, 8.8% used public transportation to get to work, and 65.8% used a private car.
From the 2000 census[update], 1,273 or 62.7% were Roman Catholic, while 478 or 23.6% belonged to the Swiss Reformed Church. Of the rest of the population, there was 1 individual who belonged to the Christian Catholic faith.
In Waltenschwil about 82.3% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule). Of the school age population (in the 2008/2009 school year[update]), there are 227 students attending primary school in the municipality.
- "Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeinden nach 4 Hauptbereichen". Federal Statistical Office. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Ständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Staatsangehörigkeitskategorie Geschlecht und Gemeinde; Provisorische Jahresergebnisse; 2018". Federal Statistical Office. 9 April 2019. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office-Land Use Statistics 2009 data (in German) accessed 25 March 2010
- Flags of the World.com accessed 26-May-2010
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB, online database – Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit (in German) accessed 23 September 2019
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau -Bereich 01 -Bevölkerung (in German) accessed 20 January 2010
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 26-May-2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau -Bevölkerungsdaten für den Kanton Aargau und die Gemeinden (Archiv) (in German) accessed 20 January 2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau - Aargauer Zahlen 2009 (in German) accessed 20 January 2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau (in German) accessed 20 January 2010
- Statistical Department of Canton Aargau-Bereich 11 Verkehr und Nachrichtenwesen (in German) accessed 21 January 2010
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Waltenschwil.|