Walter Camp Award
|Walter Camp Player of the Year Award|
Walter Camp Foundation logo
|Given for||Player of the Year in college football|
|Presented by||Walter Camp Football Foundation|
|Most recent||Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma|
The Walter Camp Player of the Year Award is given annually to the collegiate American football player of the year, as decided by a group of National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I FBS head coaches and sports information directors under the auspices of the Walter Camp Football Foundation; the award is named for Walter Camp, an important and influential figure in the development of the sport. Three players have won the award twice: Colt McCoy of the University of Texas in 2008 and 2009, Archie Griffin of Ohio State in 1974 and 1975, and O. J. Simpson of USC in 1967 and 1968.
Awards won by school
This is a list of the schools that have had a player win the Walter Camp Award. USC has the most award winners, with six. In total, players from 22 different schools have won the Walter Camp Award.
*Designates double award winner
- Maxwell Award
- Heisman Trophy
- Sporting News College Football Player of the Year
- UPI College Football Player of the Year
- Associated Press College Football Player of the Year
- "Walter Camp Player of the Year Award Winners". Sports Reference. Retrieved March 1, 2017.
- "College Football Awards - Walter Camp Award". ESPN.com. Retrieved March 1, 2017.
- "Coaches, SID's vote Thompson best". Daily News. Associated Press. November 27, 1989. p. 10. Retrieved October 17, 2016.
- "Ward receives Walter Camp Award". The News-Journal. Associated Press. November 30, 1993. p. 6B. Retrieved October 17, 2016.
- "Heupel, Stoops win Camp awards". The Daily Gazette. November 29, 2000. p. C3. Retrieved October 17, 2016.
- "Crouch takes O'Brien and Camp Awards". McCook Daily Gazette. Associated Press. December 7, 2001. p. 12. Retrieved October 17, 2016.
- Scheuring, Ian. "Manti Te'o wins Maxwell, Bednarik, Walter Camp player-of-the-year awards". Hawaii News Now. Retrieved January 8, 2017.
- "Louisville QB Lamar Jackson wins Camp, Maxwell awards". The Boston Globe. December 9, 2016. Retrieved December 10, 2016.
- Awards webpage. Walter Camp Football Foundation official website