Walter David Counts III
|Walter David Counts III|
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Texas|
Assumed office |
January 17, 2018
|Appointed by||Donald Trump|
|Preceded by||Robert A. Junell|
|Magistrate Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Texas|
2009 – January 17, 2018
1961 (age 56–57)|
Knox City, Texas, U.S.
Texas Tech University (BA)|
St. Mary's University School of Law (JD)
United States Army|
Texas Army National Guard
|Years of service||1989–present|
Walter David Counts III (born 1961) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Texas. He was formerly a United States Magistrate Judge of the same court.
Counts received a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1983 from Texas Tech University. He received a Juris Doctor in 1986 from St. Mary's University School of Law. He began his legal career as an associate at the law firm of Martin, Cox, Greenberg & Jones. From 1987 to 1995, he served as an Assistant District Attorney for the Travis County District Attorney's Office, with the exception of a six-month period from 1990 to 1991, when he worked as a solo practitioner. From 1995 to 2009, he served as an Assistant United States Attorney for the Western District of Texas. Concurrently with his other service, Counts has served in the Texas National Guard since 1986, serving as a State Judge Advocate since 2006. He currently holds the rank of colonel.
Federal judicial service
Magistrate judge tenure
From 2009 to 2017, Counts served as a United States Magistrate Judge for the United States District Court for the Western District of Texas.
District court service
Failed district court nomination under Obama
On March 15, 2016, President Obama nominated Counts to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Texas, to the seat vacated by Judge Robert A. Junell, who took senior status on February 13, 2015. On September 7, 2016, a hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee was held on his nomination. His nomination expired on January 3, 2017, with the end of the 114th Congress.
Renomination to district court under Trump
His renomination was announced on September 7, 2017. On September 11, 2017, his nomination was officially sent to the Senate. He has been nominated to the seat vacated by Robert A. Junell who assumed senior status on February 13, 2015. On October 26, 2017, his nomination was reported out of committee by voice vote. On January 11, 2018, the U.S. Senate voted to confirm Counts by a vote of 96–0. He received his judicial commission on January 17, 2018.
- "President Obama Nominates Six to Serve on the United States District Courts" White House, March 15, 2016
- "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate" White House, March 15, 2016
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Nominations for September 7, 2016
- "President Donald J. Trump Announces Seventh Wave of Judicial Candidates", White House, September 7, 2017
- PN1015 — Walter David Counts III — The Judiciary, Congress.gov, September 11, 2017
- Results of Executive Business Meeting – October 26, 2017, Senate Judiciary Committee
- "On the Nomination (Confirmation Walter David Counts, III, of Texas, to be United States District Judge for the Western District of Texas)". United States Senate. January 11, 2018. Retrieved January 11, 2018.
- Walter David Counts III at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Walter David Counts III at Ballotpedia
Robert A. Junell
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Western District of Texas