From 1908 to 1914 he studied theology in Bethel, Greifswald and Heidelberg, obtaining his habilitation at the University of Erlangen in 1918. In 1922 he succeeded Albrecht Alt as an associate professor of history of religions and Old Testament studies at the University of Basel, where from 1934 to 1960 he taught classes as a full professor. In 1953 he was named university rector.
- Die Quellen der Genesis (1916).
- Die Hoffnung des ewigen Friedens alten Israel (1920).
- Theologie des Alten Testaments, 3 volumes (1933–39); translated into English and published as Theology of the Old Testament (1961).
- Das Menschenverständnis des Alten Testaments (1944); translated into English and published as Man in the Old Testament (1951).
- Ezekiel; a commentary; English translation by Cosslett Quin (1970).
- Walther Eichrodt in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Historical Handbook of Major Biblical Interpreters edited by Donald K. McKim
- HathiTrust Digital Library (published works)
- Works by or about Walther Eichrodt at Internet Archive
|This article about a German theologian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|