|Walter Kurt Hayman|
6 January 1926 |
|Institutions||King's College, Newcastle
University of Exeter
|Alma mater||University of Cambridge|
|Known for||Theory of subharmonic functions
Univalent function theory
|Notable awards||Berwick Prize (1955)
Senior Berwick Prize (1964)
De Morgan Medal (1995)
Hayman was born in Cologne, Germany, and immigrated to Britain in 1938. He studied at Gordonstoun School, and later at St John's College, Cambridge, with Mary Cartwright and John Edensor Littlewood. He taught at King's College, Newcastle, and the University of Exeter. 
Honours and awards
Hayman was elected to the Royal Society in 1956 and of the Finnish Academy of Science and Letters in 1978: he was elected "Foreign member" of the Accademia dei Lincei on 16 December 1985. In 1995 He was awarded the De Morgan Medal by the London Mathematical Society. In 2008, an issue of the Journal Computational Methods and Function Theory was dedicated to him on the occasion of his 80th birthday.
- Hayman, W. K. (1952), "Functions with values in a given domain", Proceedings of the American Mathematical Society 3 (3): 428–432, doi:10.1090/S0002-9939-1952-0049323-9, MR 0049323, Zbl 0048.31402.
- Hayman, W. K. (1974), "The local growth of power series: a survey of the Wiman-Valiron method", Canadian Mathematical Bulletin 17 (3): 317–358, doi:10.4153/CMB-1974-064-0, MR 0385095, Zbl 0314.30021.
- Hayman, W. K.; Rossi, J. F. (1984), "Characteristic, maximum modulus and value distribution", Transactions of the American Mathematical Society 284 (2): 651–664, doi:10.1090/S0002-9947-1984-0743737-2, MR 743737, Zbl 0547.30023.
- Hayman, Walter K. (1993), "A problem on Fourier series arising from an Isoperimetric inequality", in Ricci, Paolo Emilio, Problemi attuali dell’analisi e della fisica matematica. Atti del simposio internazionale dedicato a Gaetano Fichera nel suo 70o compleanno. Taormina, 15–17 ottobre 1992, Roma: Dipartimento di Matematica Università di Roma La Sapienza – Aracne Editrice, pp. 119–125, MR 1249093, Zbl 0851.42009.
- Hayman, W. K. (2002), "Univalent and Multivalent Functions", in Kuhnau, Reiner, Geometric Function Theory, Handbook of Complex Analysis, Volume 1, Amsterdam: North-Holland, pp. 1–36, ISBN 0-444-82845-1, MR 1966188, Zbl 1069.30018.
- Hayman, W. K. (1964), Meromorphic functions, Oxford Mathematical Monographs, Oxford: Clarendon Press, pp. XIV+191, MR 0164038, Zbl 0115.06203.
- Hayman, W. K.; Kennedy, P. B. (1976), Subharmonic functions. Volume 1, London Mathematical Society Monographs 9, London–New York: Academic Press, pp. XVII+284, ISBN 0-12-334801-3, MR 0460672, Zbl 0419.31001.
- Hayman, W. K. (1988), Subharmonic functions. Volume 2, London Mathematical Society Monographs 20, London: Academic Press, pp. xiii+875, ISBN 0-12-334802-1, MR 1049148, Zbl 0699.31001.
- Hayman, W. K. (1994) , Multivalent functions, Cambridge Tracts on Mathematics 110 (Second ed.), Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, pp. xii+263, ISBN 0-521-46026-3, MR 1310776, Zbl 0904.30001.
- Hayman, W. K. (2014), My Life and Functions, Logic Press, pp. iv+138, ISBN 978-1-326-03020-9
- Imperial College webpage
- As stated by (Quadling 1995, p. 127) in his commemoration of Hayman's wife.
- According to the academic list of foreign members.
- See (Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei 2012, p. 88).
- See the LMS announcement.
- See (Ruscheweyh 2008).
- Helms, L. L. (1979). "Review: Subharmonic functions, vol. 1, by W. K. Hayman and the late P. B. Kennedy" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.) 1 (2): 376–379. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-1979-14604-4.
- Baernstein II, Albert (1991). "Review: Subharmonic functions, vol. 2, by W. K. Hayman" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.) 25 (2): 458–467. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-1991-16091-x.
- Jenkins, James A. (1959). "Review: Multivalent functions by W. J. Hayman" (PDF) 65 (3): 163–166.
- Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei (2012), Annuario dell'Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei 2012 – CDX dalla Sua Fondazione (PDF) (in Italian), Roma: Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei, p. 734. The "Yearbook" of the renowned Italian scientific institution, including an historical sketch of its history, the list of all past and present members as well as a wealth of informations about its academic and scientific activities.
- Quadling, Douglas (1995), "Obituary: Margaret Hayman", The Mathematical Gazette 79 (484): 127, JSTOR 3620019.
- Finnish Academy of Science and Letters (2014), Ulkomaiset jäsenet - Foreign Members, retrieved 21 December 2014.
- Drasin, David (May 2015), "My Life and Functions by Walter K. Hayman" (PDF), Notices of the American Mathematical Society 68 (05): 517–520. The review of the autobiographical book of Hayman.
- Ruscheweyh, S., ed. (2008), "Special Volume. Dedicated to Walter K. Hayman on the occasion of his 80th birthday", Computational Methods and Function Theory (Lemgo: Heldermann Verlag) 8 (1–2): xliii+640, ISSN 1617-9447 (online ISSN 2195-3724).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Walter Hayman.|