Hodge with Zielona Góra, in 2012.
|No. 15 – ASVEL|
|League||LNB Pro A
September 21, 1986 |
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
|Nationality||Puerto Rican / US Virgin Islands|
|Listed height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Listed weight||170 lb (77 kg)|
|High school||Florida Air Academy
|NBA draft||2009 / Undrafted|
|2009||Capitanes de Arecibo|
|2010–2011||Cangrejeros de Santurce|
|2013–2014||Laboral Kutxa Vitoria|
|2014||→ Capitanes de Arecibo|
|2014–2015||Zenit Saint Petersburg|
|2015||Capitanes de Arecibo|
|2016||Capitanes de Arecibo|
|Career highlights and awards|
Walter "Walt" Wallace Hodge (born September 21, 1986) is a Puerto Rican-U.S. Virgin Islands professional basketball player for ASVEL Basket of the LNB Pro A. Internationally, Hodge plays with the senior U.S. Virgin Islands national basketball team, due to eligibility arising from his Virgin Islander grandfather. A reserve point guard his first two seasons with the Gators, he became the starting point guard for the two-time defending national champions in the 2007–08 season. On June 5, 2013, in appreciation for his contribution to Zielona Góra, his jersey number was retired.
Hodge was born in Guaynabo, Puerto Rico. He attended Florida Air Academy in Melbourne, Florida, a private military academy, and played high school basketball for the Florida Air Falcons. The Falcons won state championships with undefeated teams during his sophomore and senior seasons.
Hodge accepted an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida, where he played for coach Billy Donovan's Florida Gators men's basketball team from 2005 to 2009. Playing a reserve role in 2005–06, Hodge averaged 3.9 points and 1.2 assists per game as a freshman. He started 8 games in Southeastern Conference (SEC) play and averaged 19 minutes per contest during the Gators' first national title run.
Hodge had a decreased number of starts and minutes during the 2006–07 season, starting just three games but increasing his scoring average to 5.7 points per game as the Gators repeated as national champions. He had a career high of 17 points against Florida State, and finished the season hitting exactly .500 on three-point shots.
In April, 2012, Hodge was named the Most Valuable Player of the Polish Basketball League. As the Zastal Zielona Góra's franchise player he won with his team the 2011–12 Polish League Bronze Medal. In 2012-13 season Zielona Góra's team debuted in EuroCup and advanced to Last 16. Hodge was the team's alpha-dog, scoring avg. 21.2 pts, 5.4 ast, 54% FG and 50% 3-PT FG (25/50). In week 6, he took the EuroCup Basketball Player of the Week honors. On February 25, 2013 Hodge was awarded the Polish-Czech All Star Game MVP (he scored 22 points in the game).
On June 5, 2013 Basket Zielona Góra retired Hodge's jersey number 15. He has become the first player in the club's history to be honored with a jersey retirement.
On May 6, Hodge returned to Capitanes de Arecibo.
Hodge is a member of the U.S. Virgin Islands national basketball team. With the U.S. Virgin Islands, he played at the 2009 FIBA Americas Championship, the 2010 Centrobasket, the 2011 FIBA CBC Championship, where he won a gold medal, the 2012 Centrobasket, the 2014 Centrobasket, and the 2016 Centrobasket.
Awards and accomplishments
- 2x SEC Men's Basketball Tournament Champion: (2006, 2007)
- 2x NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament Champion: (2006, 2007)
- Polish League Champion (2013)
- Polish League Regular Season MVP: (2012, 2013)
- Polish League Bronze Medalist: (2012)
- Polish League Bronze Medal Game MVP: (2012)
- Polish League All-Star Game MVP: (2013)
- Polish League All-Star Game Starting Lineup Top Vote-Getter: (2013)
- Polish League All-Star Game Participant: (2011, 2012, 2013)
- All-Polish League First Team: (2012, 2013)
- All-Polish League Third Team: (2011)
- EuroCup Last 16 Week 6 MVP: (2013)
- All-EuroCup Second Team: (2013)
- First player in Zielona Góra's basketball history with a retired jersey (#15).
- Eurocupbasketball.com Star power fills 2012-13 All-Eurocup teams!
- "LABORAL KUTXA lands playmaker Hodge as first signing of summer". Euroleague.net. June 5, 2013. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- "Walter Hodge officially loaned from Baskonia to Capitanes de Arecibo". Sportando.com. February 23, 2014. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- "Walter Hodge and Baskonia officially part ways". Sportando.com. August 19, 2014. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- Modestti, Luis (May 6, 2016). "Hodge listo para debutar con los Capitanes". BSNPR.com (in Spanish). Retrieved May 15, 2016.
- Walter Wallace HODGE (ISV).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Walter Hodge.|