Professor Walter Noll
January 7, 1925|
|Died||June 6, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Institutions||Carnegie Mellon University|
|Alma mater||Indiana University|
|Thesis||On the Continuity of the Solid and Fluid States (1954)|
|Doctoral advisor||Clifford Truesdell|
|Notable awards||American Mathematical Society Fellow (2012)|
Walter Noll (January 7, 1925 – June 6, 2017) was a mathematician, and Professor Emeritus at Carnegie Mellon University. He is best known for developing mathematical tools of classical mechanics and thermodynamics.
Born in Berlin, Germany, Noll had his school education in a suburb of Berlin. In 1954, Noll earned a Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics from Indiana University under Clifford Truesdell. His thesis "On the Continuity of the Solid and Fluid States" was published both in Journal of Rational Mechanics and Analysis and in one of Truesdell's books. Noll thanks Jerald Ericksen for his critical input to the thesis.
Noll has served as a visiting professor at the Johns Hopkins University, the University of Karlsruhe, the Israel Institute of Technology, the École Polytechnique in Nancy, the University of Pisa, the University of Pavia, and the University of Oxford.
- Noll, Walter and Truesdell, Clifford (1965) The Non-Linear Field Theories of Mechanics. Springer-Verlag, New York. ISBN 3-540-02779-3.
- Noll, Walter; Coleman, B. D.; and Markovitz, H. (1966) Viscometric Flows of Non-Newtonian Fluids, Theory and Experiment. Springer-Verlag, New York. ASIN B0006BN90G.
- Noll, Walter (1974) Foundations of Mechanics and Thermodynamics, Selected Papers. Springer-Verlag, New York. ISBN 0-387-06646-2.
- Noll, Walter (1987) Finite-Dimensional Spaces: Algebra, Geometry, and Analysis, Vol. I. Kluwer Academic Publishers. ISBN 90-247-3581-5. A corrected version (2006) is published on Professor Noll's website.
- Noll, Walter (2004) Five Contributions to Natural Philosophy. Published on Professor Noll's website
- Ignatieff, Y. (1996). The Mathematical World of Walter Noll. Springer-Verlag. ISBN 3-540-59440-X.
- "Walter Noll, Curriculum Vitae". Retrieved 2007-12-30.
- Continuum Mechanics II: The Rational Mechanics of Materials, pp 65–81, (1965) Gordon and Breach
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-02-24.
- Noll, Walter (2009). "The Future of Scientific Publication" (PDF). math.cmu. Retrieved 16 December 2014.