Walter Payton Award
|Walter Payton Award|
Walter Payton Award
|Given for||"Most outstanding offensive player in the Division I Football Championship Subdivision"|
|Presented by||STATS LLC|
|First award||1987, 30 years ago|
|Most recent||Jeremiah Briscoe, QB
Sam Houston State
The Walter Payton Award is awarded annually to the most outstanding offensive player in the Division I Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division I-AA) of college football as chosen by a nationwide panel of media and college sports information directors. The honor was first given 30 years ago in 1987 to the outstanding player in the division, but in 1995, eligibility was restricted to offensive players, as the Buck Buchanan Award for defensive players was inaugurated.
Among the many schools in the division, only eight have multiple winners. Eastern Washington and Villanova have won it three times, and six have won it twice: Appalachian State, Colgate, Georgia Southern, Idaho, New Hampshire, and Eastern Illinois. In 2009, Armanti Edwards from Appalachian State became the first to receive the award twice.
- 2005: Erik Meyer of Eastern Washington, Ricky Santos of New Hampshire and Nick Hartigan of Brown University.
- 2006: Ricky Santos of New Hampshire, Jason Murietta of Northern Arizona and Arkee Whitlock of Southern Illinois
- 2007: Jayson Foster of Georgia Southern, Eric Sanders, of Northern Iowa and Josh Johnson of San Diego
- 2008: Armanti Edwards of Appalachian State Rodney Landers of James Madison and Herb Donaldson of Western Illinois
- 2009: Armanti Edwards of Appalachian State, Terrell Hudgins of Elon College and Deji Karim of Southern Illinois
- 2010: Matt Barr of Western Illinois, DeAndre Presley of Appalachian State and Jeremy Moses of Stephen F. Austin
- 2011: Shakir Bell of Indiana State, Chris Lum of Lehigh, and Bo Levi Mitchell of Eastern Washington
- 2012: Eric Breitenstein of Wofford, Taylor Heinicke of Old Dominion, and Miguel Maysonet of Stony Brook
- 2013: Vernon Adams of Eastern Washington, Jimmy Garoppolo of Eastern Illinois, and Terrance West of Towson
- 2014 John Robertson of Villanova, Vernon Adams of Eastern Washington, Justin Arias of Idaho State
- 2016: Jeremiah Briscoe of Sam Houston State, Cooper Kupp of Eastern Washington, Gage Gubrud of Eastern Washington
Awards won by school
|Sam Houston State||1|
|Stephen F. Austin||1|
|William & Mary||1|
†No longer a member of FCS
‡ Not a current FCS member, but will return to FCS in 2018
- "Walter Payton Award". The Sports Network. Retrieved 2008-12-22.
- Roy Taylor (2002). "Walter Payton Biography". Bears History. Retrieved 2008-12-22.
- "Armanti Edwards wins 2009 Walter Payton Award". The Sports Network. Retrieved 2008-12-17.
- Erik Meyer wins 2005 Walter Payton Award Sports Network
- Ricky Santos wins the 2006 Walter Payton Award Sports Network
- Sweet: Foster wins Walter Payton Award Savannah Now, December 13, 2007
- Donaldson third in Payton Award voting McDonough Voice, December 19, 2008
- Edwards a Payton Award finalist Watauga Democrat, November 30, 2009
- Presley Invited to Payton Ceremony GoASU.com, December 1, 2010
- "Old Dominion's Heinicke captures 2012 Walter Payton Award". The Sports Network. December 17, 2012. Retrieved December 18, 2012.
- Walter Payton Award - Past winners from The Sports Network