Walter Smith III
Walter Smith III
Walter Smith III with the Ambrose Akinmusire Quintet
|Born||September 24, 1980|
Houston, Texas, U.S.
|Associated acts||Terence Blanchard, Ambrose Akinmusire, Eric Harland|
Walter Smith III (born September 24, 1980) is an American jazz saxophonist and composer.
In addition to performing with his own group, Smith is a member of the Ambrose Akinmusire Quintet and Eric Harland's Voyager. He regularly plays and records with Taylor Eigsti, Christian Scott, Logan Richardson, Kendrick Scott, Aaron Parks, Warren Wolf, and others.
Smith has released five albums as leader: Casually Introducing (2006), Live in Paris (2009), III (2010), Still Casual (2014), and Twio (2018).
Smith began playing the saxophone at the age of seven in his hometown of Houston, Texas. While at Houston’s High School for the Performing and Visual Arts, he received a Clifford Brown/Stan Getz Fellowship from the International Association for Jazz Education (IAJE) and the National Foundation for Advancement in the Arts (NFAA); the NFAA Young Talent Award; a full-tuition scholarship to attend Berklee College of Music; and a United States Presidential Scholar in the Arts medal. He graduated from Berklee in 2003 with a degree in music education. He later earned a degree at the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz.
Smith has performed in numerous national and international festivals and on stages in the U.S. such as Carnegie Hall and the Kennedy Center. He has shared the stage and recorded with many jazz notables, including Terence Blanchard, Roy Haynes, Christian McBride, Eric Reed, Mulgrew Miller, Joe Lovano, Bob Hurst, Myron Walden, Walter Beasley, Lewis Nash, Terri Lyne Carrington, and others. To date, he has made more than 37 recordings.
Smith's debut recording as a leader was released in March 2006 on the Fresh Sound New Talent label and features Ambrose Akinmusire, Aaron Parks, Reuben Rogers, Eric Harland, and Kendrick Scott, and others. His sophomore release, entitled Live in Paris, was released in October 2009 featuring Ambrose Akinmusire, Aaron Goldberg, Matt Brewer, and Marcus Gilmore. His most recent album, III, was released in September 2010; It features Ambrose Akinmusire, Jason Moran, Joe Sanders, and Eric Harland. Smith is currently signed to Concord Records; his fourth album was released in September 2014.
- Twio (2018)
- Still Casual (2014)
- III (2010)
- Bronze (2010) (with Mark Small)
- Live In Paris (2009)
- Casually Introducing (2006)
- Origami Harvest with Ambrose Akinmusire (2018)
- Reminiscent with Dayna Stephens (2015)
- Vipassana with Eric Harland (2014)
- When the Heart Emerges Glistening with Ambrose Akinmusire (2011)
- Voyager: Live by Night with Eric Harland (2010)
- Choices with Terence Blanchard (2009)
- Prelude... to Cora with Ambrose Akinmusire (2008)
- The Source with Kendrick Scott Oracle (World Culture Music, 2007)
- Anthem with Christian Scott (2007)
- Rewind That with Christian Scott (2006)
- "Walter Smith III Discography". AllMusic. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- "Walter Smith III Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- Turner, Mark F. "Walter Smith III: Casually Introducing Walter Smith III (2006)". allaboutjazz. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- Turner, Mark F. "Walter Smith III: III (2011)". allaboutjazz. Retrieved 18 May 2014.