Walter von Boltenstern
|Walter von Boltenstern|
26 November 1889|
Breslau, Province of Silesia, Kingdom of Prussia, German Empire now Wrocław, Lower Silesian Voivodeship, Poland
|Died||19 January 1952
Woikowo Prisoner-of-War Camp 324 near Ivanovo, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union
|Allegiance|| German Empire (to 1918)
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Years of service||1910–45|
|Commands held||Infanterie-Regiment 71
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Walter von Boltenstern (26 November 1889 – 19 January 1952) was a highly decorated Generalleutnant in the Wehrmacht during World War II who commanded several divisions. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Walter von Boltenstern was discharged from active service in 1945, later that year he was taken by the Red Army. He died in Soviet captivity at the Woikowo prison camp in 1952.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class (3 October 1914)
- 1st Class (15 March 1915)
- Hanseatic Cross of Hamburg (14 April 1918)
- Honour Cross of the World War 1914/1918 (24 December 1934)
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class (24 September 1939)
- 1st Class (2 October 1939)
- Order of the Crown of Italy (27 August 1940)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 13 August 1941 as Generalmajor and commander of 29.Infanterie-Division 
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 119.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 — Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
Generalmajor Willibald Freiherr von Langermann und Erlencamp
|Commander of 29. Infanterie-Division (mot.)
1 July 1940 – 20 September 1941
Generalmajor Max Fremerey