Walton High School, Nelson
This article does not cite any sources. (April 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Walton High School|
Alumnus Hartley c1920–26
|Local authority||Lancashire County Council|
|Department for Education URN||134989 Tables|
|Age||11 to 16|
|Colour(s)||Green & Gold|
The school became Pendle Vale College in September 2006, and construction of the new building commenced July 2006. Construction was finished in time for the new term on 7 September 2008.
The building had four different school names over its c.80 years. First, when the new building opened on Monday 14 October 1929, the school was known as Nelson Municipal Secondary School. In 1945, the named changed to Nelson Grammar School, then to Walton High School in 1972. Finally, in its last year as a building, the name changed to Pendle Vale College.
The Walton High School Complex had four buildings surrounded by a field and an all weather playing pitch. The school's main building hosted academic classes. The art and food building formerly stood to the left of the main building. Behind the main building were the science and French rooms.
Demolition of the Walton High complex began in December 2008, and was completed in January 2009.
Walton High School
- Khalil Ahmed, Headteacher, Fellow Royal Asiatic Society
- Jody Latham, actor in Shameless
- Nicola Wheeler, actress in Emmerdale
- Phil Woolas, Labour MP (Nelson Grammar 1970–1972, Walton High 1972–75)
Nelson Grammar School
- Prof Susan Birley, Professor of Entrepreneurship at Imperial College London from 1990–2003
- Christine Butler, Labour MP for Castle Point from 1997–2002
- Prof Brian Duerden, Professor of Medical Microbiology at Cardiff University since 1991
- Prof Allan Foster, Professor of Chemistry at the University of London from 1966–1986
- Dr Derek Leaver FRSE (1929–1990) chemist
- Prof John Morton OBE, FRS, cognitive scientist
- Sir John Oldham. In June 2000, he received the OBE for services to patients and in 2003, he was awarded a knighthood for services to the NHS
- Prof Barry T Pickup, Professor of Theoretical Chemistry at Sheffield University from 2003–2013
Nelson Municipal Secondary School
- Sir Frank Hartley CBE (pharmacist), Vice Chancellor, University of London 1976 to 1978 attended from c.1920 to 1926
- Picture pre-demolition
- Unofficial Website showing Photograph of All Walton High School Staff and Pupils - taken in 1982
- Location of Walton High School (Map)
- Final Working Version of the Official Website of the Former Walton High School (this website was Discontinued September 2009)
- Pendle Vale College Official Website