The Walton family is an American family whose collective fortune makes them the richest family in the United States of America and the richest in the world. The majority of their wealth derives from the heritage of Bud and Sam Walton, who were the co-founders of the world's largest retailer, Walmart. The three most prominent living members (Jim, Rob and Alice) have consistently been in the top twenty of the Forbes 400 since 2001, as were John (d. 2005) and Helen (d. 2007) prior to their deaths. Christy Walton took her husband John's place in that ranking after his death.
As of December 2014[update], the Waltons collectively owned 50.8 percent of the company. In May 2018, the annual Sunday Times Rich List indicated the Walton family's wealth is at $US174.9 billion.
Walton family fortune
The Walton family fortune breaks down as follows:
- Jim Walton $48.4 billion
- S. Robson Walton $48.2 billion
- Alice Walton $48.1 billion
- Lukas Walton $15.6 billion
- Ann Walton Kroenke $6.6 billion
- Christy Walton $6.7 billion
- Nancy Walton Laurie $5.7 billion
Walton family tree
- Hanbury, Mary (August 16, 2018). "MEET THE WALTONS: How America's wealthiest family spends its Walmart fortune". Business Insider. Retrieved August 22, 2018.
- Bryan Rich. "Christy Walton & family". Forbes. Retrieved May 10, 2016.
- Jerin Mathew. "Walton family are richest in the US with $149bn net worth – Forbes". International Business Times UK. Retrieved May 10, 2016.
- "Wal-Mart says Walton family to sell shares to keep lid on stake". Reuters. April 11, 2015.
- "Sunday Times Rich List". thesundaytimes.co.uk.
- "Jim Walton".
- "S. Robson Walton".
- Bartie Scott. "Alice Walton". Forbes. Retrieved May 20, 2016.
- "Lukas Walton".
- Morgan Brennan. "Ann Walton Kroenke". Forbes. Retrieved May 20, 2016.
- "Christy Walton". Forbes. Retrieved March 1, 2018.