Walvis Bay Airport
|Walvis Bay International Airport
Aerial view of Walfis Bay Airport (2017)
|Owner/Operator||Namibia Airports Co.|
|Serves||Walvis Bay, Namibia|
|Elevation AMSL||299 ft / 91 m|
The airport was home to AFB Rooikop, a South African Air Force station (and later as a base) that closed in 1994. It was home to several SAAF squadrons:
The airport resides at an elevation of 299 feet (91 m) above mean sea level. It has one runway designated 09/27 with an asphalt surface measuring 3,500 by 30 metres (11,483 ft × 98 ft).The facility complies with International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) standards.
Since 2007, the airport has received upgrades to air traffic control equipment, instrument landing systems, and runway lighting, as well as a runway extension at both ends. The Walvis Bay VOR-DME (Ident: WBV) and non-directional beacon (Ident: WB) are located on the field.
Walvis Bay International Airport handled more than 98,178 passengers, and logged over 20 000 aircraft movements in 2015.
The new airport features a 3C category runway, and despite shortening the runway, (1,675m / width of 30m), it is still able to accommodate larger equipment such as Boeing 737-200. The newly installed avionics (lighting) and landing system allows aircraft movements during poor weather conditions. This feature has placed Walvis Bay Airport at the edge of airport-technology in Southern Africa, especially where coastal, overcast conditions prevail.
Namibia Airports Company (NAC) upgraded the newly developed, state-of-the-art facility, which has the capacity to handle 200 passengers an hour and one million passengers a year. The new terminal, which has been inaugurated in July 2016, meets international standards in terms of operational safety/security and functional efficiency, as well as cargo processing.
Airlines and destinations
|Air Namibia||Cape Town Johannesburg-OR Tambo Windhoek-Hosea Kutako|
|South African Express||Cape Town, Johannesburg-OR Tambo|
- Namibia Airports Company: Airport Information Archived 24 January 2013 at WebCite
- "Walvis Bay Airport". Namibia Airports Company, Ltd. Archived from the original on 27 March 2010.
- Airport information for FYWB from DAFIF (effective October 2006)
- Airport information for WVB at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective October 2006).
- "Distance from Walvis Bay to airport". WikiMapia. Retrieved 18 February 2010.
- "Walvis Bay Namibia [Archive] - PPRuNe Forums". pprune.org.
- http://www.telectrosolutions.com/es/projects-references.html[dead link]
- WVB VOR
- WB NDB
- "Air Namibia Resumes Walvis Bay – South Africa Service from late-March 2015". airlineroute.net.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Walvis Bay Airport.|
|This article about an airport in Namibia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|