|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||MH-10 (Sangli)|
Walwa is a tehsil/taluka in Walwa subdivision of Sangli district in the Indian state of Maharashtra. It is also known as Valva-Islampur Taluka. There are ninety-five panchayat villages in Walwa Taluka.
It is 180 km from Pune and 340 km from Mumbai. Before independence Walawa was known for its "Patrisarkar movement". There were plenty of freedom fighters like Krantishigh Nana Patil, Vinayak Thorat, Nagnath Naikwadi, Rajarambapu Patil and more whose native villages were in Walawa Subdivision.
The Krishna River passes through the taluka. The major crops produced in the taluka are sugarcane and grapes. The major occupations are Agriculture and Animal Husbandry.
In the 2001 India census, Walwa Taluka had 427,377 inhabitants, 220,542 (51.6%) were males and 206,835 (48.4%) were females, for a gender ratio of 938 females per thousand males. The taluka was 78.6% rural in 2001.
In the 2011 census the population had increased to 455,138 inhabitants and a gender ratio of 939 females per thousand males. The taluka was 77.0% rural in 2011. The literacy rate in 2011 was 86.03% overall in Walwa Taluka, with a rate of 92.83% for males and 78.92% for females. In 2011 in Walwa Taluka, 9.66% of the population was 0 to 6 years of age.
List of towns and villages
- Aitavade Bk
- Aitavade Kh
- Farnewadi (borgaon)
- June Khed
- Kille Machhindra Gad
- Nave Khed
- Phalkewadi & Chandachiwadi
- Rethare Harnaksha
- Rethare Dharan
- Yede Machchhindra
- Yede Nipani
Prakash Shikshan Mandal, Islampur
-Prakash Hospital & Research Center, Islampur.
Rajarambapu Patil Shikshan & Udyog Samuha, Islampur.
Hutatma Sahakari Sakhar Karkhana. Hutatma Dairy.
- Kasegaon Education Society, Kasegaon.
- Kusumtai Rajarambapu Patil Kanya Mahavidyalaya, Islampur. (A Grade College)
- Arts & Commerce College Ashta.
- Arts & Commerce College Kasegaon.
- Rajarambapu Institute of Information Technology (RIIT), Rajaramnager, Islampur.
- B.Farmacy College Kasegaon.
- Nursing Institute Of Islampur.
- Hutatma Kisan Ahir Vidyalaya.
- Jijamata Vidyalaya.
- Krantisinh Nana Patil college.
- Rajaram Shikshan Sanstha,Ashta.
- Rangrao Balaji Patil Shikshan Sanstha, Borgaon.
- Dr. Prakash Patil BalVikas Mandir, Borgaon.
- Kisan shikshan mandal walwa
- "Reports of National Panchayat Directory: Village Panchayat Names of Valva-Islampur, Sangli, Maharashtra". Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Government of India.
- "Nagnath Naikwadi – a revolutionary of a different mould". First Post. 23 March 2012. Retrieved June 27, 2016.
- "Census 2001 Population Finder: Maharashtra: Sangli: Walwa". Office of The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India.
- "Population, Child Population in the age-group 0-6 and Literates by residence and sex, State, Districts, Tahsils 2011: Maharashtra" (PDF). Press Information Bureau, Mumbai. p. 48.
- "Sex ratio of Population and Child Population in the age-group 0-6, State, Districts, Tahsils 2011: Maharashtra" (PDF). Press Information Bureau, Mumbai. p. 9.
- "Literacy rates by residence and sex, State, Districts, Tahsils 2011: Maharashtra" (PDF). Press Information Bureau, Mumbai. p. 18.
- "NPR Report: Maharashtra: Sangli: Walwa". National Population Register, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2011. Archived from the original on 4 May 2013.