|• Total||6.98 km2 (2.69 sq mi)|
|Elevation||672 m (2,205 ft)|
|• Density||280/km2 (730/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Au (SG), Berneck (SG), Lutzenberg, Oberegg (AI), Rheineck (SG), Sankt Margrethen (SG), Wolfhalden|
The farm Walzenhausen was mentioned first in 1320. The church was built in 1638 in as little as nine months. This was the establishment of Walzenhausen as a municipality.
In the past textiles played an important role, but today tourism has taken this role. This is facilitated by good public transport links.
Walzenhausen is the eastern most village in the canton Appenzell Ausserrhoden. It lies at 670 m (2,200 ft) and offers a panorama of Lake Constance 300 m (980 ft) below.
The Rheineck–Walzenhausen mountain railway links the village to Rheineck railway station, 272 m (892 ft) below. The line operates one or two return journeys per hour, depending on the time of day, which connect at Rheineck with main line services to the city of St. Gallen and other local towns. Local buses link Walzenhausen to Heiden and St. Margrethen.
Walzenhausen has a population (as of 2008[update]) of 2,071, of which about 16.2% are foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has decreased at a rate of -4.1%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (92.3%), with Serbo-Croatian being second most common ( 1.7%) and Italian being third ( 1.4%).
As of 2000[update], the gender distribution of the population was 50.9% male and 49.1% female. The age distribution, as of 2000[update], in Walzenhausen is; 176 people or 8.1% of the population are between 0–6 years old. 278 people or 12.7% are 6-15, and 98 people or 4.5% are 16-19. Of the adult population, 96 people or 4.4% of the population are between 20–24 years old. 646 people or 29.6% are 25-44, and 530 people or 24.3% are 45-64. The senior population distribution is 250 people or 11.5% of the population are between 65–79 years old, and 107 people or 4.9% are over 80.
In Walzenhausen about 68.5% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule).
Walzenhausen has an unemployment rate of 1.67%. As of 2005[update], there were 53 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 27 businesses involved in this sector. 323 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 34 businesses in this sector. 732 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 72 businesses in this sector.
The historical population is given in the following table:
- Carl Lutz (1895–1975), Swiss vice-consul to Hungary during WWII, credited with saving over 62,000 Jews
- "Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeinden nach 4 Hauptbereichen". Federal Statistical Office. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Ständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Staatsangehörigkeitskategorie Geschlecht und Gemeinde; Provisorische Jahresergebnisse; 2018". Federal Statistical Office. 9 April 2019. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office accessed 17-Sep-2009
- "Rheineck–Walzenhausen" (PDF). Bundesamt für Verkehr. Retrieved 2014-06-27.
- Lambert, Anthony (2013). Switzerland Without A Car (5th ed.). Chalfont St. Peter: Bradt Travel Guides. p. 92. ISBN 978 1 84162 447 1.
- Brief Statistics for the half-canton (in German) accessed 15 September 2009
- Appenzell Outer Rhodes website (in German) accessed 15 September 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Walzenhausen.|
- Official Page (German)