|Location||Central Coast, New South Wales, Australia|
|Type||Intermittently closed intermediate saline coastal lagoon|
|Primary inflows||Forresters Creek|
|Primary outflows||Tasman Sea of the South Pacific Ocean|
|Catchment area||5.8 square kilometres (2.2 sq mi)|
|Surface area||0.5 square kilometres (0.19 sq mi)|
|Average depth||1.7 metres (5 ft 7 in) (AHD)|
|Water volume||880.2 megalitres (31.08×106 cu ft)|
|Surface elevation||0 m (0 ft)|
|Settlements||Forresters Beach, Wamberal|
Wamberal Lagoon, an intermittently closed intermediate saline coastal lagoon, is located on the Central Coast region of New South Wales, Australia. Wamberal Lagoon is located between the beachside settlements of Forresters Beach and Wamberal, and adjacent to the east coast, about 87 kilometres (54 mi) north of Sydney.
Features and location
Fed by stormwater runoff that flows into Forresters Creek, the lagoon has a surface area of approximately 0.5 square kilometres (0.19 sq mi) and a catchment area of 5.8 square kilometres (2.2 sq mi). When full, the Wamberal Lagoon covers an area of around 50 hectares (120 acres). Its outflow is to the Tasman Sea of the South Pacific Ocean that is generally closed, and water levels inside the lagoon are not usually influenced by ocean tides.
The lagoon and the surrounding land comprising 139 hectares (340 acres) form part of the Wamberal Lagoon Nature Reserve, a nature reserve created in 1981, that is under management of the NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service.
- Roy, P. S; Williams, R. J; Jones, A. R; Yassini, I; et al. (2001). "Structure and Function of South-east Australian Estuaries". Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science. 53: 351–384. doi:10.1006/ecss.2001.0796.
- "Estuaries of NSW: Wamberal Lagoon". Office of Environment and Heritage. Government of New South Wales. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
- "Map of Wamberal Lagoon, NSW". Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
- "Wamberal Lagoon" (PDF). Environmental fact sheets: W11. Gosford City Council. January 2005. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
- "Wamberal Lagoon Nature Reserve". NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service: Office of Environment and Heritage. Government of New South Wales. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
- "Gosford Lagoons & Sydney Northern Beaches" (map). Office of Environment and Heritage. Government of New South Wales.
- "Wamberal Lagoon Nature Reserve: Plan of Management" (PDF). NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service. Government of New South Wales. March 1993. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
- McCormack, Robert B. (2010). "Wamberal Lagoon Freshwater Aquatic Biodiversity Survey" (PDF). Australian Aquatic Biological Pty Ltd. Gosford City Council. Retrieved 6 April 2013.
|This New South Wales geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|