Wan Rizal Wan Zakariah
|Member of Parliament|
for Jalan Besar GRC
|Assumed office |
10 July 2020
|Preceded by||Yaacob Ibrahim (PAP)|
|Born||1978 (age 43–44)|
|Political party||People's Action Party|
|Alma mater||Nanyang Technological University (BS, PhD)|
National Institute of Education
Wan Rizal bin Wan Zakariah (born 1978) is a Singaporean politician and sport science lecturer. A member of the governing People's Action Party (PAP), he has been the Member of Parliament (MP) representing the Kolam Ayer division of Jalan Besar GRC since 2020.
He subsequently went on to complete a diploma in electronics at Temasek Polytechnic in 1999, before graduating with a Bachelor of Science with second upper honours degree in physical education from the Nanyang Technological University in 2009.
After completing his National Service, he went on to complete a diploma with merit in physical education at the National Institute of Education before working as a physical education teacher at Ngee Ann Primary School and Hougang Primary School between 2005 and 2012.
He was a part-time physical education and sports science lecturer at the National Institute of Education, and an associate lecturer at Republic Polytechnic's School of Sports, Health and Leisure between 2014 and 2015. In 2016, he became a senior lecturer at Republic Polytechnic.
Rizal has been involved in political activities with the governing People's Action Party (PAP) since 2018, after having helped out Member of Parliament Zainal Sapari at his Meet-the-People Sessions for a year in 2017.
He made his political debut in the 2020 general election as part of a four-member PAP team contesting in Jalan Besar GRC when Yaacob Ibrahim and Lily Neo stepped down from their respective wards and politics and the team won 65.37% of the vote.
Rizal was later appointed as the chairman of the Jalan Besar Town Council.
- "MP | Parliament of Singapore".
- "GE2020: The new PAP candidate who went from meet-the-people sessions to a minister's ward". CNA. Archived from the original on 13 July 2020. Retrieved 13 July 2020.
- "GE 2020: LinkedIn head & Republic Poly lecturer among new PAP candidates". mothership.sg. Archived from the original on 15 July 2020. Retrieved 13 July 2020.
- "Wan Rizal Bin Wan Zakariah" (PDF).
- "Punggol mosque named Al-Islah". AsiaOne. 3 September 2013. Archived from the original on 15 July 2020. Retrieved 13 July 2020.
- Heng, Janice (26 June 2020). "Social issues are focus for four PAP candidates". SGSME.SG. Archived from the original on 13 July 2020. Retrieved 13 July 2020.
- "GE2020: PAP unveils seven more new faces, including Changi Airport, LinkedIn executives". CNA. Archived from the original on 20 July 2020. Retrieved 13 July 2020.
- hermesauto (30 June 2020). "GE2020: PAP to battle it out with Peoples Voice in Jalan Besar GRC". The Straits Times. Archived from the original on 20 September 2020. Retrieved 13 July 2020.
- "GE2020: Manpower Minister Josephine Teo to lead PAP team in Jalan Besar". CNA. Archived from the original on 13 July 2020. Retrieved 13 July 2020.
- "GE2020 results: PAP wins Jalan Besar GRC with 65.37% of votes over Peoples Voice". AsiaOne. 11 July 2020. Archived from the original on 15 July 2020. Retrieved 13 July 2020.