Once known as the Long Pond River, the source of the Wanaque River is Greenwood Lake, once known as Long Pond (not to be confused with the nearby village of Greenwood Lake in the state of New York).
Both Greenwood Lake and the surrounding Sterling Forest watershed straddle the border of the states of New Jersey and New York.
From the Raymond Dam of the Wanaque Reservoir, the river flows to its confluence with the Pequannock River.
- North Jersey District Water Supply Commission
- Long Pond Ironworks State Park
- Wanaque Wildlife Management Area
- Norvin Green State Forest
- Sterling Forest State Park (New York section)
- U.S. Geological Survey: NJ stream gaging stations