Wander Over Yonder
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013)|
|Wander Over Yonder|
|Created by||Craig McCracken|
|Opening theme||"Wander Over Yonder Main Title"
performed by the Two Man Gentlemen Band
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||39 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Craig McCracken|
(co-producer, Season 1)
|Running time||22 minutes (whole)
11 minutes (separate)
|Production company(s)||Disney Television Animation|
|Original release||August 16, 2013– present|
Wander Over Yonder is an American animated comedy television series produced by Disney Television Animation for Disney Channel and now Disney XD. The series previewed on August 16, 2013, and officially premiered on September 13, 2013.
The series premiered on Disney XD, on December 9, 2013, with its own week titled Winter Wander What?! Week.
The show's creator and executive producer is Craig McCracken. His wife Lauren Faust served as developer of the series, and also a co-producer and story editor of Season 1. Sam Riegel serves as the voice director of the series.
On February 16, 2014, it was announced that Wander Over Yonder premieres will leave Disney Channel, and move to Disney XD starting in Spring 2014, similar with what happened with most of Phineas and Ferb's second season. As of July 2014, the series airs new episodes on Disney Channel, as part of Disney XD on Disney Channel.
On June 23, 2014, Disney announced that Wander Over Yonder had been renewed for a second season. Noelle Stevenson will join the writing team for the second season. McCracken stated via Twitter that a second season should start airing sometime in 2015.
The series follows Wander, a nomadic and overly-optimistic intergalactic traveler and his Zbornak steed Sylvia as they travel from planet to planet helping people to have fun and live free, in spite of the continuing encroachment of Lord Hater and his army of Watchdogs.
In the credits sequence of each episode, there is an animatic of a scene in the episode, usually an extended version of the scene or an extra one.
The show's creator and executive producer, Craig McCracken, previously created the Emmy-winning Cartoon Network series The Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. Lauren Faust served as co-producer and story editor of Season 1. This is McCracken's first television show outside Cartoon Network and his first animated television series for Disney Channel and Disney XD.
The eponymous character, Wander, made his debut on sketchbooks, clothes, and patches that McCracken sold at conventions as well as in a never-finished graphic novel. McCracken described Wander as a "nomadic, hippie, muppet man."
A sneak peek of the series aired at Comic-Con International 2012 for Disney Channel. The first promo aired on July 19, 2013 during the premiere of Teen Beach Movie. A early preview of an eleven-minute episode titled "The Picnic" aired on Disney Channel after Phineas and Ferb: Mission Marvel on August 16, 2013 and the series started airing regularly on September 13, 2013.
||This section possibly contains original research. (September 2013)|
- Wander (voiced by Jack McBrayer) - Wander is very optimistic, sweet, and friendly, though at times annoying to the more pragmatic persons around him. He aspires to explore different worlds, discover new things, and help people have fun and live free, in opposition to the evil reign of Lord Hater and his army of Watchdogs. Wander is a short, red-orange-furred being of an indeterminate species. He has large, expressive eyes with black pupils. He has three prominent whiskers on his chin. He is usually seen with a big floppy green hat with a black band above the brim and a yellow star on the band. The inside of his hat seems to be black as well. He also wears light blue shoes with white laces, and a black stripe in the middle of the shoes. He is very often seen with a smile. Given his positive nature and beliefs, Wander is often oblivious to danger as well as Hater's aggressive nature.
- Sylvia (voiced by April Winchell) - Sylvia is Wander's loyal, although bullish steed and best friend, who explores and travels the universe with him. She enjoys fighting, and though her rough nature can cause her to come off as ill-tempered, inconsiderate, and reckless at times, she also has a softer side. Despite this, she initially showed skepticism to the notion of herself and Wander defeating Lord Hater, saying that Wander "would have to be crazy to stop Lord Hater," and she continues to show trepidation in encountering Hater's minions and forces. Sylvia is blue with a long neck, stubby arms, and big expressive eyes. She has a black rein wrapped around her muzzle and a big floppy tuft of bright pink hair jutting upward from her head, matching the tuft of fur on the tip of her tail. While she is sometimes referred to as Wander's horse, she is actually one of a species called a "Zbornak", more similar to a dragon than a horse.
- Lord Hater (voiced by Keith Ferguson) - Lord Hater is a skeleton being clad in a red-and-black hooded robe (occasional glimpses can be caught of his tennis shoes and boxer shorts). Hater is the ruler of the Hater Empire and Wander's self-proclaimed nemesis. Lord Hater is a power-hungry, evil, and cruel dictator and conqueror, while at the same time being a childish, petty, and emotionally unstable egotist. He hates being told what to do by those he declares lower than himself, including his own henchman, Peepers. What he desires most is absolute rule of the entire Universe under his fist and no one stands in his way. However, he displays a pathological hatred of Wander (the diametrical opposite of everything that he is) due to his superfluous optimism, his obliviousness to Hater's evil, and his infuriating ability to foil every scheme of Hater's without even trying. Lord Hater has a pet spider-like alien named "Captain Tim" which was given to him by Sylvia and Wander.
- Commander Peepers (voiced by Tom Kenny) - Commander Peepers is a Watchdog (distinguished by his helmet's frill and extended lightning bolt) who is Lord Hater's chief henchman and seems willing to do anything Lord Hater commands. He at times appears sometimes smarter than Lord Hater, sensing danger ahead as Lord Hater mostly ignores him, though he has a tendency to underestimate Wander's capacity to dash Hater's plans.
- The Watchdogs (Various Voices) - The Watchdogs are small eyeball-headed creatures that serve as Hater's minions and the bulk of his army. They are loyal to their master, but are frequently distracted by Wander's interference.
- Emperor Awesome (voiced by Sam Riegel) - Emperor Awesome is a preening, flamboyant cool-dude shark-headed man and one of Lord Hater's greatest nemeses as a rival in universal conquest. He considers Sylvia attractive. In "The Party Animal," it is revealed that Emperor Awesome can destroy planets through excessive partying.
- Fist Fighters - The Fist Fighters are Emperor Awesome's army. They have hands for heads.
- Lord Dominator (voiced by Fred Tatasciore) - Lord Dominator will be Lord Hater's rival as the "Greatest in the Galaxy" in the second season. His silhouette was first seen in the Season 2 poster and later in "The Rider" animatic laughing maniacally.
- Sir Brad Starlight (voiced by James Marsden) - Sir Brad Starlight is a character who first appeared in "The Hero" to help Wander and Sylvia save a princess, but it turns out he's a delusional, whiny man-child who just kidnapped the princess for himself in order to fulfill the Prophecy which is his diary. He returned in "The Enemies" where he teamed up with Lord Hater.
|Season||Episodes||Originally aired (U.S. dates)|
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||39||August 16, 2013 (preview)
September 13, 2013 (official)
|November 28, 2014 (official)
December 4, 2014 (Christmas)
The premiere was cable TV's No. 2 primetime telecast in total viewers (2.9 million).
Awards and nominations
|2015||42nd Annie Awards||Best Animated TV/Broadcast Production For Children’s Audience||Wander Over Yonder||Nominated|
|Outstanding Achievement, Character Animation in an Animated Television/Broadcast Production ||Justin Nichols||Won|
|Outstanding Achievement, Character Design in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production ||Benjamin Balistreri||Won|
|Outstanding Achievement, Directing in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production||Dave Thomas||Nominated|
|Outstanding Achievement, Production Design in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production ||Alex Kirwan, Chris Tsirigotis, Alexander Duckworth, Janice Kubo & Francis Giglio||Nominated|
|Outstanding Achievement, Storyboarding in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production||Mark Ackland||Nominated|
- Work ID #885983837 on ASCAP
- "Exclusive: Disney Channel Sets Premiere Date for New Cartoon Wander Over Yonder". Tvguide.com. July 22, 2013. Retrieved November 8, 2013.
- "Breaking News – 2013–14 Disney Channels Worldwide Kids Upfront Announcement". TheFutonCritic.com. April 1, 2013. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- "Wander Over Yonder Coming To TV – The New Project From Powerpuff Creator Craig McCracken – Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movies and TV News and Rumors". Bleedingcool.com. March 13, 2012. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- "Breaking News – Disney Channel's Intergalactic Animated Comedy Series "Wander Over Yonder" from Emmy Award-Winning Producer Craig McCracken Premieres Friday, September 13". TheFutonCritic.com. July 22, 2013. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- disney rocks (June 22, 2012). "Disney Channel Announces Comic-Con Pane ls for 'Tron: Uprising', 'Phineas and Ferb', 'Fish Hooks', 'Gravity Falls' and More – Ratings | TVbytheNumbers". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- Kahn, Juliet (September 3, 2014). "'Girl' Is Not A Personality Type: An Interview With The Creators of 'Lumberjanes'". Comics Alliance. Retrieved October 4, 2014.
- McCracken, Craig. "Season 2 will premiere next year". Retrieved November 10, 2014.
- "Jim Hill: Jack McBrayer Says Goodbye to Kenneth From NBC's 30 Rock and Hello to Disney's Wander Over Yonder". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- "Wander Over Yonder Characters | Disney Channel". Disneychannel.disney.com. Retrieved November 8, 2013.
- A Very Rough History of Wander in the News
- McCracken, Craig. "Fred Tatasciore is the voice of Lord Dominator". Retrieved 2014-11-29.
- "Craig McCracken on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved December 7, 2014.
- "December 2014 Programming Highlights" (PDF). Disney XD Medianet. Retrieved November 21, 2014.
- "Premiere of 'Phineas and Ferb: Mission Marvel' Rockets to Over 6 Month High in Total Viewers and 1-Year High in Kids 2–11 – Ratings | TVbytheNumbers". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- Koch, Dave (June 23, 2014). "Disney Animation Runs Pickle & Peanut". Big Cartoon News. Retrieved June 23, 2014.
- "LOOK NO FURTHER! FAMILY CHANNEL, DISNEY JUNIOR AND DISNEY XD HAVE GOT IT ALL FOR FALL" (PDF). Radical Sheep. Toronto: DHX Media. August 20, 2013. Retrieved March 16, 2015.
- Higgins, D (June 10, 2014). "Pretty Little Liars, Klondike, the Tony Awards, Kardashians, Queens and Le Mans". Foxtel Community. Foxtel. Retrieved March 16, 2015.
- Amidi, Amid (1 December 2014). "Annie Award Winners". Cartoon Brew. Retrieved 13 December 2014.
- Official website
- Wander Over Yonder at the Internet Movie Database
- Wander Over Yonder at the Big Cartoon DataBase