Wang Kai (actor)
August 18, 1982|
Wuhan, Hubei Province, China
|Other names||Nick Wang|
|Alma mater||Central Academy of Drama|
|Label(s)||Daylight Entertainment Television Ltd.|
Wang Kai (born 18 August 1982) is a Chinese actor. He is known for his television roles in All Quiet in Peking (2014), The Disguiser (2015), Nirvana in Fire (2015), Ode to Joy (2016), When a Snail Falls in Love (2016), and Stay With Me (2016), as well as his film role in The Devotion of Suspect X.
- 1 Early life and education
- 2 Career
- 3 Other activities
- 4 Filmography
- 5 Discography
- 6 Awards and nominations
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Early life and education
Wang was born in Wuhan in Hubei Province. Although he wanted to become an actor after performing Thunderstorm in school, his father wanted him to do sports while his mother wanted him to find a stable job. As a result, he worked as a book porter at Xinhua Bookstore after high school. During his free time, he took on side jobs such as attending activities organized by TV stations, taking model-training courses, and shooting commercials. In 2002, during the shooting of a commercial, the director suggested Wang attend an acting academy. Wang resigned from his job and moved to Shanghai to take courses on acting at the Shanghai Theatre Academy in 2002. The next year, he applied for the Beijing Film Academy and the Central Academy of Drama. Wang received offers from both academies, and chose to attend the latter.
While a student at the Central Academy of Drama, Wang received his first acting role in Cold Autumn (2006), upon recommendation of his professor Zhang Xiaolong. In 2006, he participated in his first film My Puppy My Love (2012), an animal movie which focuses on dogs.
In 2007, Wang graduated from the Central Academy of Drama and signed with Huayi Brothers. During his first year with Huayi, he received no roles except for a minor role in Water Point Peach Blossom by Ma Lujian, the director of Cold Autumn. He also had a minor role in the romantic comedy drama Calling For Love. As the series would be aired in Taiwan, he learned to speak with a Taiwanese accent for the role.
2008–13: Breaking into television
Wang's first breakthrough in the industry was his casting in Ugly Wudi, adapted from the American comedy series Ugly Betty. The TV series was a commercial success, with the all four seasons being the highest viewed TV show in its time slot. Although he tried out for the male lead, he was instead offered the role of Chen Jiaming, a sassy advertising director. Wang continued to play the role for all four seasons of the series’ run between 2008 and 2010. While filming Ugly Wudi, he left Huayi Brothers and signed with Ugly Wudi’s production company, Nesound International.
After the success of Ugly Wudi, Wang found himself offered roles similar to his role in the series. Unwilling to be typecast, he rejected them all. Finally, he was offered the role of the a rugged and uneducated youth in Youth (2012). He then starred in New Detective Squad (2013), a Republican-era detective series loosely based on The Three Heroes and Five Gallants. The series had high viewership in mainland China and developed a small cult following online.
2014–2015: Mainstream success
In 2013, with the disbandment of Nesound’s management department, Wang joined Shandong Television & Film. His first role under the company was a police officer in the critically acclaimed historical drama All Quiet in Peking, which was released in 2014. This marked a turning point in his career. Wang was praised for his ability to hold his own against multiple acclaimed veteran actor. The same year, he starred in the historical film, A Murder Beside Yanhe River, where he plays a Chinese Workers' and Peasants' Red Army officer who becomes a murder suspect. The film premiered in December 2014, and Wang received his first acting award, the Best New Actor Award at the 9th Chinese Youth Film Forum for his performance in the film.
In December 2014, when Hou Hongliang resigned from Shandong Film & Television to focus on Daylight Entertainment Ltd., Wang left with him for Daylight Entertainment. He then starred in three television series produced by Daylight Entertainment: Nirvana in Fire, The Disguiser, and Love Me If You Dare. Wang played a loyal and capable triple agent in The Disguiser, the neglected prince Xiao Jingyan who climbs his way to the throne with the help of his best friend in Nirvana in Fire and the protagonist's best friend in Love Me, If You Dare. All three dramas were critical and commercial successes, and Wang received acclaim for his versatile acting.
Following the airing of these dramas, Wang experienced a sharp rise in popularity. He was nominated for the Best Actor award at the Huading Awards and Shanghai Television Festival for his performance in The Disguiser and Nirvana in Fire respectively, and won the Best Supporting Actor award at the Asia Rainbow TV Awards. Wang had become a regular in both magazines and fashion events, and also received several endorsement deals.
In 2016, he featured in metropolitan romance drama Ode to Joy. Although he did not appear until episode 11, Wang in association with the show was one of the most discussed topics on social medias. He reunited with his Ode to Joy co-star Wang Ziwen in crime thriller When a Snail Falls in Love, adapted from Ding Mo's novel of the same name. The drama was a hit with local and overseas audience, and received 9.8 out 10 score on viki.com. The same year, Wang starred alongside Joe Chen in romance drama Stay with Me and starred in Jackie Chan's action comedy film Railroad Tigers.
In 2017, Wang starred in The Devotion of Suspect X, adapted from the Japanese novel of the same name. The film was a box office success. The same year, he was announced to be playing Cao Cao in the upcoming film adaptation of popular RPG game Dynasty Warriors.
In 2018, Wang starred in A Better Tomorrow 2018, directed by Ding Sheng and a remake of the original classic. He is set to return to the small screen with the period drama Like a Flowing River, based on the novel Da Jiang Da He written by A Nai and set during Chinese economic reform in 1978.
In February 2016, Wang co-founded Deshe Entertainment (Tianjin) Ltd. The company’s co-investor is Daylight Entertainment, and its legal representative is Hou Hongliang.
Wang was part of Han Hong's charity campaign to provide medical assistance in Gansu. He was made ambassador of "1219 Long Love" public event in Beijing, Estée Lauder Companies's Greater China's Breast Cancer Awareness Pink ribbon program and appointed the Traffic Safety Ambassador for Beijing.
Aside from his own activities, Wang's fans also made news in China for donating various roads in disadvantaged areas in the name of his characters, including Ming Cheng, Xiao Jingyan, Fang Mengwei, Qi Yong, and Liu Chengzhi.
|Year||English Title||Chinese Title||Role||Notes|
|2012||My Puppy My Love||我的狗狗我的爱||Shi Luwei|
|2013||A Young Girl's Destiny||逆袭||Hao Chen|||
|2014||The Golden Era||黄金时代||Jin Yi|||
|A Murder Beside Yanhe River||黄克功案件||Huang Kegong|
|2016||Railroad Tigers||铁道飞虎||Fan Chuan|
|2017||The Devotion of Suspect X||嫌疑人X的献身||Tang Chuan|
|2018||A Better Tomorrow 2018||英雄本色2018||Zhou Kai|
|2019||Dynasty Warriors||真三国无双||Cao Cao|
|Year||English Title||Chinese Title||Role||Notes|
|2006||Cold Autumn||寒秋||Huang Yuanshang|
|2008||Water Point Peach Blossom||围屋里的桃花||Xu Yilin|
|2008-2010||Ugly Wudi||丑女无敌||Chen Jiaming|
|2010||Calling For Love||呼叫大明星||Wang Rui|
|2011||Guns Hou||枪炮侯||Dai Dao|||
|2013||New Detective Squad||新神探联盟||Gongsun Ze|
|2014||All Quiet in Peking||北平无战事||Fang Mengwei|
|2015||Waiting For You||等你爱我||Qu He|||
|Once Upon a Time in Tsingtao||青岛往事||Liu Chengzhi|||
|The Disguiser||伪装者||Ming Cheng|
|Nirvana in Fire||瑯琊榜||Xiao Jingyan, Prince Jing|
|Love Me If You Dare||他来了，请闭眼||Li Xunran|
|2016||Legend of Nine Tails Fox||青丘狐传说||Shi Taipu|||
|Half the Sky||女人的天空||Wu Dawei|||
|Ode to Joy||欢乐颂||Zhao Qiping|
|When a Snail Falls in Love||如果蜗牛有爱情||Ji Bai|
|Stay with Me||放弃我，抓紧我||Chen Yidu|
|2017||Ode to Joy 2||欢乐颂2||Zhao Qiping|||
|2018||Like a Flowing River||大江大河||Song Yunhui|
|Year||English Title||Chinese Title||Role||Notes|
|2014||Crazy Star Travel||疯狂星旅行||Cast member|||
|Fighting Man||我们战斗吧||Cast member|||
|Year||English Title||Chinese Title||Album||Length||Notes|
|2013||"Exploration of the World"||探世界||New Detective Squad OST||5:06|
|2015||"Loyal Blood Forever Runs Red"||赤血长殷||Nirvana in Fire OST||4:45|
|2016||"Big Brother"||大哥||Railroad Tigers OST||4:22||with Darren Wang, Wu Yonglun & Sang Ping|
|"Playing My Beloved Folk Lute"||弹起我心爱的土琵琶||3:49|
Awards and nominations
|2014||9th Chinese Young Generation Film Forum Awards||Best New Actor||A Murder Beside Yanhe River||Won|||
|2015||7th China TV Drama Awards||Rising Actor Award||N/A||Won|||
|Most Popular Actor (Mainland China)||Nirvana in Fire||Won|
|2016||28th Golden Eagle Awards||Best Actor||All Quiet in Peking||Nominated|
|19th Huading Awards||Best Actor||The Disguiser||Nominated|
|22nd Shanghai Television Festival||Best Supporting Actor||Nirvana in Fire||Nominated|
|3rd Asia Rainbow TV Awards||Best Supporting Actor||Won|||
- "制服弟弟 王凯" (in Chinese). November 2014.
- 20160119 鲁豫有约 王凯 念念不忘必有回响. ifeng (in Chinese). January 19, 2016.
- "王凯做客音乐活力汇". Tudou (in Chinese). August 30, 2013. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "资料：响巢国际艺人--王凯". Sina Corp (in Chinese). June 19, 2011. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "《我的狗狗我的爱》热映 王凯演技受肯定". Netease (in Chinese). January 6, 2013.
- "王凯偷师贺军翔 台湾话出演《呼叫大明星》". Sohu (in Chinese). May 31, 2010. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "王凯《呼叫大明星》演绎纯爱校园恋情". Netease (in Chinese). May 24, 2010.
- "《丑女无敌》受宠收视再夺冠 5日上演大结局". NetEase (in Chinese). March 4, 2010. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "凭《琅琊榜》走红 王凯：想挑战"斯文变态"". iFeng (in Chinese). October 12, 2015.
- "总导演张新建：《知青》有一种悲壮的美". Sina (in Chinese). January 17, 2013. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "王凯：我现在准备好了". Tencent (in Chinese). October 12, 2015. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "《新神探聯盟》登央八 王凱點燃『偵探熱』風潮". Sina Corp (in Chinese). August 8, 2013. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "《新神探联盟》登陆央视 张俪帅气逼人惊艳登场". NetEase (in Chinese). August 19, 2013. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "全员B站爆红是二次元逆袭？". Tencent (in Chinese). November 11, 2015. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "《北平无战事》王凯演技爆发 抢戏救烨兄". NetEase (in Chinese). November 11, 2014. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "《北平无战事》王凯对阵老戏骨演技功力受肯定". Sohu (in Chinese). October 11, 2014. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "Revolutionary legal drama hits Chinese theaters". China.org.cn. December 4, 2014. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "第9届华语青年影像论坛闭幕 韩寒等获颁年度新锐影人". People's Daily (in Chinese). November 6, 2014. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "侯鸿亮的造星秘诀：热衷综艺的演员我们不会选择". et.21.cn.com (in Chinese). October 19, 2015. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "《琅琊榜》曝光阵容 胡歌王凯黄维德加盟". Sina Corp (in Chinese). December 10, 2013. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "《伪装者》热播 靳东王凯邓超演技"对得起这张脸". People.com (in Chinese). September 22, 2015. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "《他来了》王凯诠释干探李熏然制服诱惑". Sina (in Chinese). November 11, 2015.
- "War spy drama 'The Disguiser' dominates ratings". The Global Times. September 15, 2015. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "Winning success with sincerity: 'Nirvana in Fire' restores confidence in period shows". The Global Times. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "Drawn to the suspenseful plots, diverse characters, and gripping storytelling techniques, foreign fans of Chinese crime dramas can be found all over the globe". The Global Times. November 24, 2016.
- "Male Asian actors gaining a following abroad". The Global Times. February 22, 2016.
- "伪装者琅琊榜霸屏 胡歌靳东王凯3人2部戏爆红". Anhui TV (in Chinese). October 10, 2015.
- "360发布奇酷手机极客版 演员王凯担任代言人". Tencent (in Chinese). January 14, 2016. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "王凯代言爱夸" (in Chinese). February 23, 2016. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "很高兴与品牌携手" (in Chinese). February 25, 2016.
- "看新闻还是得用搜狐" (in Chinese). March 14, 2016.
- "科普篇-光明植物活力乳酸菌饮品" (in Chinese). March 16, 2016. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "《欢乐颂》曝定妆照 摩登造型演绎都市时尚". NetEase (in Chinese). Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "大数据时代，专家帮你扒《欢乐颂》的营销战" (in Chinese). May 15, 2016. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "如果蜗牛有爱情开机 演员阵容揭秘". Xinhua News Agency (in Chinese). April 20, 2016. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "《放弃我抓紧我》开拍 陈乔恩王凯首合作". NetEase (in Chinese). December 22, 2015. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "电影《铁道飞虎》黄子韬王凯王大陆加盟". Sina (in Chinese). January 13, 2015. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "《嫌疑人x的献身》提档3.31 王凯张鲁一林心如提前破解人生难题". Mtime (in Chinese). March 6, 2018.
- "China box office: 'Ghost In The Shell' wins weekend but 'Kong' still top". Screen Daily. April 4, 2017. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "《真三国无双》拍真人版 王凯扮曹操"紫战袍"曝光". Sina (in Chinese). September 6, 2017.
- "王大陆马天宇拍《英雄本色4》 王凯板寸造型曝光". Sina (in Chinese). February 21, 2017.
- "《大江大河》公布男一号 王凯倾情演绎时代缩影". Sina (in Chinese). November 13, 2017.
- "得舍影视（天津）有限公司" (in Chinese). February 25, 2016. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "韩红"百人援甘"出发在即 姜文王凯加盟" (in Chinese). June 3, 2016. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "王凯获封"白手杖关爱大使"_网易娱乐". NetEase. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "王凯粉红丝带接力" (in Chinese). September 5, 2016. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "王凯为交通安全代言 呼吁从系安全带做起". Sina (in Chinese). November 2, 2016. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "Forget fanmail – young Chinese are finding a new way of paying tribute to their favorite stars: charity". The Global Times. June 6, 2016. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "谢谢这些有爱的粉丝，今年捐款修了5条山路" (in Chinese). August 18, 2016. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "《逆袭》王凯成名变大咖 上演母子催泪温情". Netease (in Chinese). September 9, 2013.
- "《黄金时代》首映 王凯写实风演绎靳以". Sina (in Chinese). September 29, 2014.
- "《枪炮侯》王凯内心戏突显硬汉形象". Sina (in Chinese). January 17, 2013.
- "《等你爱我》王凯上演无法携手的爱恋". Sina (in Chinese). December 19, 2015.
- "《青岛往事》王凯搭档黄渤 青涩儒雅". Sina (in Chinese). November 19, 2015.
- "《青丘狐传说》王凯金晨甜蜜互动羡煞路人". Sina (in Chinese). March 9, 2016.
- "《女人的天空》收官 王凯演绎新农村青年". Sina (in Chinese). March 29, 2016.
- "王凯帅气登场《欢乐颂2》 赵启平变成熟包容". Sina (in Chinese). May 12, 2017.
- "《疯狂星旅行》将播 王凯倾情加盟带你玩转印尼". Sohu (in Chinese). August 29, 2014.
- "《跨界歌王》王凯止步半决赛 惜败刘涛紧张"闪了腰"". People's Daily (in Chinese). August 7, 2016.
- "2018《跨界歌王》王凯华丽回归 刘涛助阵歌单曝光". People's Daily (in Chinese). May 18, 2018.
- "《战斗吧》王凯王嘉尔互穿衣服 默契十足". Sina (in Chinese). July 13, 2016.
- "国剧盛典胡歌感恩母亲 李晨爱范冰冰品格". Sina (in Chinese). January 2, 2016. Retrieved 2017-11-10.
- "第三届"亚洲彩虹奖"电视颁奖典礼在澳门举行". NetEase (in Chinese). November 29, 2016.