Wang Quan'an, winner of the Best Screenplay award at the Berlin Film Festival 2010
|Pinyin||Wáng Quán'ān (Mandarin)|
(m. 2011–2015; divorced)
Wang Quan'an (Chinese: 王全安; pinyin: Wáng Quán'ān) (b. 1965) is a Sixth Generation Chinese film director. Wang was born in Yan'an, China. He graduated from the Beijing Film Academy in 1991. He had a ten-year relationship with actress and muse Yu Nan, which ended in 2009.
Unlike many of his contemporaries, who focus on urban life, Wang's films have often emphasized China's rural life, including Jingzhe and Tuya's Marriage (2007). Wang's films have also often focused on female protagonists, including his first four films, who all starred actress Yu Nan. Wang's 2009 film, Weaving Girl took him to familiar territory, exploring working class female experiences in modern-day China.
Wang's most recent film, Apart Together—his first without Yu Nan in the starring role—follows an old Kuomintang soldier who returns to China from Taiwan after fifty years to find his first love. Apart Together opened the 2010 Berlin International Film Festival.
On 15 September 2014, Wang Quan'an and a woman were arrested in Beijing due to prostitution.
Honors and awards
Since his debut film, Lunar Eclipse, in 1999, Wang Quan'an has achieved success on the international film festival circuit. Most notably, he was awarded the prestigious Golden Bear at the 2007 Berlin International Film Festival for his film, Tuya's Marriage. The win was the third time a Chinese film had been awarded the Berlinale's top award, after Xie Fei's Woman Sesame Oil Maker and Zhang Yimou's debut film, Red Sorghum. He also won the Best Screenplay award for Apart Together at the 60th Berlin International Film Festival with co-writer Jin Na. The award was presented to him on stage by jury member and former partner Yu Nan.
In February 2017, he was a member of the jury for the 2017 Berlin Film Festival.
|Year||English Title||Chinese Title||Notes|
|1999||Lunar Eclipse||月蚀||Entered into the 22nd Moscow International Film Festival|
|2004||Jingzhe||惊蛰||Also known as Story of Ermei|
|2006||Tuya's Marriage||图雅的婚事||Winner of the Golden Bear at the 2007 Berlin Film Festival|
|2009||Weaving Girl||纺织姑娘||Winner of the Grand Jury Prize at the 2009 Montreal World Film Festival|
|2010||Apart Together||團圓||Winner of the Best Screenplay award at the 60th Berlin International Film Festival|
|2011||White Deer Plain||白鹿原||Entered into the 62nd Berlin International Film Festival|
- The Internet Movie Database incorrectly lists Wang's birth year as "1956."
- "Award brings apart Wang and Yu together".
- Blaney, Martin (2010-01-19). "Quanan Wang's Apart Together to open 60th Berlinale". ScreenDaily. Retrieved 2011-01-17.
- "CJ7 star Kitty Zhang announces split after husband's paid-sex arrest, Chinese Internet congratulates her". The Straits Times. July 3, 2015. Retrieved July 3, 2015.
- 《白鹿原》导演王全安因涉嫌卖淫嫖娼被警方拘留审查, haiwainet.cn
- Xinhua staff (2007-02-18). "Chinese film "Tuya's Marriage" wins top award in Berlin". Xinhua News Agency. Retrieved 2007-03-17.
- "22nd Moscow International Film Festival (2000)". MIFF. Retrieved 2013-03-27.
- "Hollywood Reporter: Berlin festival unveils full lineup". hollywoodreporter.com. Archived from the original on February 5, 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-07.
- "Berlinale Competition Now Complete". berlinale.de. 2012-01-31. Retrieved 2012-01-31.