Wangary, South Australia
|Population||289 (2006 census)|
|Elevation||35 m (115 ft)|
|Location||45 km (28 mi) W of Port Lincoln|
|LGA(s)||Lower Eyre Peninsula DC|
Wangary is a town on the Eyre Peninsula in the Australian state of South Australia, located 45 kilometres (28 mi) west of Port Lincoln on the Flinders Highway near Coffin Bay. At the 2006 census, Wangary had a population of 289. It is located in the cadastral Hundred of Lake Wangary. It surrounds the freshwater Lake Wangary.
The government town of Wangary was surveyed in 1871, though not formally proclaimed. It was incorporated into the broader modern locality when that was established in October 2003, its boundaries and name determined with regard to the long established local name. The Old Lake Wangary Hotel was built in 1871, and is one of the main surviving structures in town; it has not had a liquor license since 1933, but remains open as a general store. The sports oval and ruins of the former post office (established 1862, closed 1976), coach house and bakery are located nearby. Lake Wangary Primary School, located on Third Street, has existed since 1933.
Lake Wangary Cemetery, located on Snapper Hill Road, was first proclaimed in 1882 and used until the early 1900s, before being resurveyed as a modern cemetery in 1984. It is now maintained by the local council.
Colonial views of the Lake Wangary area were done in the 1840s by English Colonial Artist George French Angas. His artwork is incorporated into one of South Australia's most valuable books – 'South Australia Illustrated'.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Wangary (State Suburb)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 30 October 2011.
- "Search result(s) for Wangary, 5607". Location SA Map Viewer. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 7 March 2016.
- "Wangary". About Australia. Retrieved 7 March 2016.
- "Search result(s) for Wangary (LOCB)". Location SA Map Viewer. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 7 March 2016.
- "Coffin Bay". Sydney Morning Herald. 8 February 2004. Retrieved 7 March 2016.
- "Wangary". Post Office Reference. Premier Postal. Retrieved 7 March 2016.
- "Search result(s) for Lake Wangary Primary School". Location SA Map Viewer. Government of South Australia. Retrieved 7 March 2016.
- "Lake Wangary Primary School". Retrieved 7 March 2016.
- "Lake Wangary Cemetery". South Australian History. Retrieved 7 March 2016.
- "Cemeteries". District Council of Lower Eyre Peninsula. Retrieved 7 March 2016.
- Twidale, C.R. (ed); M.J. Tyler; M. Davies (1985). Natural History of Eyre Peninsula. Adelaide: Royal Society of South Australia. ISBN 0-9596627-3-1.
- "Waungerri Lake and the Marble Range (Wangary)". SA Memory. State Library of South Australia. Retrieved 7 March 2016.