|Country||People's Republic of China|
|• Total||951.06 km2 (367.21 sq mi)|
|• Density||550/km2 (1,400/sq mi)|
|Time zone||China Standard (UTC+8)|
Wangcheng District (simplified Chinese: 望城区; traditional Chinese: 望城區; pinyin: Wàngchéng Qū) is one of six urban districts of Changsha, the capital of Hunan province, China. the district is bordered to the north by Miluo City and Xiangyin County of Yueyang, to the west by Heshan District of Yiyang and Ningxiang County, to the south by Yuelu and Kaifu Districts, to the east by Changsha County. Located in the northsouth of the City proper in Changsha, Wangcheng covers 951.06 km2 (367.21 sq mi) with registered population of 560,567 and resident population of 562,100 (as of 2014). The district has 10 subdistricts and 5 towns under its jurisdiction, the government seat is at Gaotangling Subdistrict.
Wangcheng was formed from a portion of Changsha County, dividing the Changsha County into 2 counties of Changsha and Wangcheng in 1951, remergeing into the Changsha County in 1957, recreating in December 1977 based on the original area at its abolishment in 1957. The former Wangcheng County was reorganized to Wangcheng District of Changhsha on 20 May 2011.
The name "Wangcheng" originated from the county seat where it was located, Wangcheng Slope (Chinese: 望城坡; pinyin: Wàngchéng Pō), on the west bank of the Xiang River in Changsha. At the time the county was formed, the county seat was transferred to Gaotangling (simplified Chinese: 高塘岭; traditional Chinese: 髙塘嶺; pinyin: gāo táng lǐng) in 1952.
Located in the central north of Changsha, in the low reaches of the Xiang River, Wangcheng adjoins east to Changsha county, Miluo, north to Xiangyin, the Heshan District of Yiyang, west to Ningxiang, southwest to the Yuelu, southeast to the Kaifu. It covers an area of 951.06 sq. kilometers, accounting for 8.05% of Changsha; as one of six urban districts, it shares 49.8% of Changsha urban area.
According to the result on adjustment of township-level administrative divisions of Wangcheng District on November 19, 2015, Wangcheng has 10 subdistricts and 5 towns under its jurisdiction. they are:
- 10 subdistricts
- Baishazhou Subdistrict (白沙州街道)
- Dazehu Subdistrict (大泽湖街道)
- Dingziwan Subdistrict (丁字湾街道)
- Gaotangling Subdistrict (高塘岭街道)
- Huangjinyuan Subdistrict (黄金园街道)
- Jinshanqiao Subdistrict (金山桥街道)
- Leifeng Subdistrict (雷锋街道)
- Tongguan Subdistrict (铜官街道)
- Wushan Subdistrict (乌山街道)
- Yueliangdao Subdistrict (月亮岛街道)
- 5 towns
According to preliminary accounting of the statistical authority, the gross domestic product of Wangcheng District in 2017 was 65,876 million yuan (9,757 million US dollars), up by 11.2 percent over the previous year. Of this total, the value added of the primary industry was 4,553 million yuan (674 million US dollars), up by 5.5 percent, that of the secondary industry was 46,742 million yuan (6,923 million US dollars), up by 11.4 percent and that of the tertiary industry was 14,581 million yuan (2,160 million US dollars), up by 12.4 percent. The value added of the primary industry accounted for 6.91 percent of the GDP; that of the secondary industry accounted for 70.95 percent; and that of the tertiary industry accounted for 22.13 percent. The per capita GDP by year-end household population in 2017 was about 109,000 yuan (16,144 US dollars).
Wangcheng Economic and Technological Development Zone (WETZ) was established on 13 July 2000, upgraded to an ETZ at state level on 15 February 2014. It covers Baishazhou, Huangjinyuan, Jinshanqiao and Wushan 4 subdistricts. It has an approved area of 6.33 km2 (2.44 sq mi) and a planning area of 59.6 km2 (23.0 sq mi). The dominant industries in the zone are non-ferrous metal new materials, food, electronic information and business logistics. As of 2015, there are 635 registered enterprises, 32 of the total are public or the global Top500 companies. The total industrial gross output in the zone hits 77 billion yuan (US$12.36 billion) and the industrial added value is 20 billion yuan (US$3.21 billion).
- Changsha Yearly Book 2015 (长沙统计年鉴2015)
- According to the result on adjustment of township-level administrative divisions of Liuyang city on November 19, 2015: changshamca.gov (2015-11-27): 《长沙市人民政府关于调整望城区部分乡镇区划的通知》, rednet (2015-11-19): 《湖南省民政厅关于同意长沙市望城区乡镇区划调整方案的批复》(湘民行发〔2015〕39号), also see: rednet (2015-12-03): 《长沙正式对有关区县市下发通知调整乡镇行政区划》
- Wangcheng County was reorganized to Wangcheng District of Changsha on 20 May 2011, according to 《国务院关于同意湖南省调整长沙市部分行政区划的批复》（国函〔2011〕57号）: wanfangdata.com.cn or 360doc.com; 湖南省人民政府《关于撤销望城县设立长沙市望城区的通知》（湘政函〔2011〕167号·2011年6月20日）: hunan.gov.cn; 望城县"撤县改区" 成长沙市辖区: hn.xinhuanet.com (2-Jul-11); 望城成为长沙第六区: voc.com.cn (26-Jul-11); 望城撤县设区徐守盛授牌 长沙城大一倍: 163.com (26-Jul-11); 望城县“撤县改区”成为长沙市辖区: ifeng.com (02-Jul-11) and 望城县改区放飞几多梦想: qq.com (26-Jul-11)
- the map of Wangcheng, according to 《关于在公开地图上调整湖南省长沙市部分行政区划的函》（地图函〔2011〕5号）: sbsm.gov.cn
- (in Chinese) Geography of Wangcheng County, Official website of Wangcheng County Government, visited on April 20, 2008.
- according to the Statistical Communiqué of Wangcheng District on the 2017 National Economic and Social Development / 望城区2017年国民经济和社会发展统计公报 see hntj.gov (2018-04-04) or changsha.gov (2018-04-03)
- 湖南望城经开区扩园环境影响评价公示: sohu.com
- About Wangcheng ETZ - 望城经济技术开发区: hnjkq.com