|Nickname(s): Black Diamond City|
|Elevation||228 m (748 ft)|
|• Rank||3rd in Yavatmal District|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
As of the 2011 census of India, Wani had a population of 58,820. Males constituted 51% of the population and females 49%. Wani had an average literacy rate of 74%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy was 80%, and female literacy was 68%. In 2011 in Wani, 13% of the population was under 6 years of age.
Wani is located at the eastern edge of Yavatmal District about 105 km from Yavatmal. It is on the Yavatmal-Chandrapur Road, nearly 55 km from Chandrapur and 135 km from Nagpur. List of villages and towns in Wani Taluka of Yavatmal, Maharashtra at Census website.
Coal mining and economy
Western Coalfields Ltd., A subsidiary of Coal India Ltd. has a coal mining area - Wani North Area in the surroundings of Wani city. There are coal mines like Ukni, Pimpalgaon, Junad, Kolarpimpri, Rajur, Kumbarkhani, Ghonsa, Kartikay Coal Washeries and some new upcoming mining projects near the city.
The economy of the town is mostly driven by agriculture and mining businesses in the surrounding area. The town received the name "Black Diamond City" due to the huge coal deposits and many coal mines in the adjacent area. Limestone is also quarried in the area. The principal crops are cotton and soyabeans.
Schools in town
- Vivekanand Vidyalay, Primary and High School, Wani (D.M.Thawari)
- KIDZ international school
- Black Diamond international school
- Wani Public School, Wani
- Adarsh Highschool, Wani
- Lions English Medium High School
- Swarnleela International School
- Shikshan Prasarak Mandal Junior College and High School
- Janata High School Junior College and High School
- Bal Vidya Mandir
- Mata Yashoda Primary School
- Macroon Students Academy
- Noorjahan Begum Salam Ahmed College of Arts and Commerce
- Noorjahan Begum Salam Ahmed Women's College of Law ,Buranda
- chopane highschool ,wani
- Shri Ranganathaswami Temple situated here is visited by devotees between Falguna Vadya and Chaitra Sudha month of Marathi calendar. There are only two temples in India of The Shri Ranganathaswami. Other one being in Srirangam, Tamil Nadu.
- Jaitai mata a hindu goddess, has a temple in the city. During Navratri this temple organizes garbha and many religious functions. This temple attracts many people from other cities and town.
- Sai mandir, a temple of saibaba.
The distance between district head Yavatmal and wani is about 103 km (64 mi), where as the division head Nagpur is about 140 km (87 mi). The adjacent district head Chandrapur is about 51 km (32 mi) away from Wani.
Wani is a regular type railway station, under Nagpur division of Central Railway. It has one platform, with signle diesel-engine line.
Language and culture
- Wūn (Variant - V) at GEOnet Names Server, United States National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency
- "Maharastra, Yavatmal, Wani Subdistrict, Wani (M Cl)". The Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. 2011. Archived from the original on 28 July 2014.
- Wani (Approved - N) at GEOnet Names Server, United States National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency
|Welabal Andhra Pradesh Border||Ghugus, Chandrapur|