Wanna One performing at Dream Concert 2017
Upper: Min-hyun, Seong-wu, Kuan-lin, Jin-young, Daniel, Ji-sung
Lower: Jae-hwan, Dae-hwi, Ji-hoon, Woo-jin, Sung-woon (From left to right)
Wanna One (Hangul: 워너원) is a South Korean boy band formed by CJ E&M through the 2017 survival competition Produce 101 Season 2. The group is composed of eleven members: Kang Daniel, Park Ji-hoon, Lee Dae-hwi, Kim Jae-hwan, Ong Seong-wu, Park Woo-jin, Lai Kuan-lin, Yoon Ji-sung, Hwang Min-hyun, Bae Jin-young and Ha Sung-woon. The group debuted on August 7, 2017 and will be promoting until December 2018 under Swing Entertainment and CJ E&M.
- 1 History
- 2 In the media
- 3 Members
- 4 Discography
- 5 Filmography
- 6 Concert and tours
- 7 Awards and nominations
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Pre-debut: Produce 101 Season 2
Wanna One was formed through the 'survival' competition series Produce 101 Season 2, which aired on Mnet from April 7 until June 16, 2017. Out of an initial 101 trainees representing various agencies, the final 11 were chosen by audience voting and announced via live television broadcast.
Before appearing on the program, several members had already been active in the entertainment industry. Park Ji-hoon was a child actor and had appeared on drama series such as Kimchi Cheese Smile and The King & I. He had also made appearances on several variety shows alongside the boy bands BIGBANG and SS501. In 2012, Hwang Min-hyun made his musical debut as a member of the group NU'EST. Kim Jae-hwan made his first appearance on season 2 of Korea's Got Talent but was eliminated during the semi-final. In 2014, Ha Sung-woon had previously debuted as a member of the group Hotshot.
2017: Debut with 1X1=1 (To Be One) and 1-1=0 (Nothing Without You)
Wanna One signed with YMC Entertainment (who previously managed season one's winning group I.O.I). Unlike I.O.I, however, Wanna One members will not be permitted to participate in other activities with their original agencies.
The group participated in a final concert that took place on July 1 and 2, 2017 at Olympic Hall in Seoul to mark the end of Produce 101 Season 2. Wanna One officially debuted at an event titled Wanna One Premier Show-Con that took place at the Gocheok Sky Dome on August 7, 2017. The group released their debut extended play 1×1=1 (To Be One) on August 8, 2017, with the title song "Energetic", originally composed by Hui of Pentagon and FlowBlow, with lyrics written by Hui and Wooseok of Pentagon. Two music videos were released for their debut, for "Energetic" and "Burn It Up".
On November 13, Wanna One released their repackaged album, 1-1=0 (Nothing Without You), with the title track "Beautiful". With the combined sales of their first album and its repackaged edition, Wanna One became the first Kpop group to sell a million copies of their debut album.
2018–present: Golden Age Begins, unit project and world tour
In February, Wanna One posted a series of teaser images titled 2018 Golden Age Begins. On March 5, Wanna One released their special theme track, "I Promise You (I.P.U.)" along with its music video. It was also announced that the number of preorders for their second extended play, 0+1=1 (I Promise You) has surpassed 700,000 copies, breaking the previous record set by the group. The album was released on March 19, along with the title track "Boomerang".
In April, Wanna One announced that the members will split into multiple units and collaborate with different artists such as Dynamic Duo, Zico, Nell and Heize for their upcoming special album. The album was later revealed to be titled 1÷x=1 (Undivided), which was released on June 4 along with the title track "Light".
Wanna One's contract with YMC Entertainment expired on May 31. Starting from June 1, Wanna One would be managed under Swing Entertainment, a new agency exclusively established for the group. This new arrangement would still maintain the partnership with YMC.
In the media
The group was recognized for their brand recognition and marketing power, having topped 'Boy Group Brand Power Ranking' published by the Korean Corporate Reputation Research Institute for four months; as well as viewership ratings of the TV shows they appear on. In 2017, they ranked second in the 30 "Power People" survey by Ilgan Sports, for their influence among broadcasting companies and advertisers; and sixth in the top 10 artist of Gallup Korea survey. The group was also chosen as Best K-pop Artist of 2017. For their achievements, Wanna One ranked number two on Forbes Korea Power Celebrity list for 2018, a list ranking South Korea's most powerful and influential celebrities.
In 2017, Wanna One has featured in 16 advertisements including cosmetics, clothing, mobile games, foods and beverages and more.
- Yoon Ji-sung (Hangul: 윤지성) — Leader
- Ha Sung-woon (하성운)
- Hwang Min-hyun (황민현)
- Ong Seong-wu (옹성우)
- Kim Jae-hwan (김재환)
- Kang Daniel (강다니엘)
- Park Ji-hoon (박지훈)
- Park Woo-jin (박우진)
- Bae Jin-young (배진영)
- Lee Dae-hwi (이대휘)
- Lai Kuan-lin (라이관린)
- Produce 101 Season 2 (Mnet, 2017)
- Wanna One Go (Mnet, 2017)
- Wanna City (SBS Mobidic, 2017)
- Wanna One Go Season 2: Zero Base (Mnet, 2017)
- Wanna One Go in Jeju
- Wanna One Go Season 3: X-CON (Mnet, 2018)
- Wanna Travel (Olleh TV, 2018)
Concert and tours
- Headlining tours
Awards and nominations
Wanna One achieved the "Rookie Grand Slam" in 2018, having won Newcomer awards from major award ceremonies such as Mnet Asian Music Awards, Golden Disc Awards, Seoul Music Awards, Melon Music Awards and Gaon Chart Music Awards. Billboard chose them as the Best New K-Pop Act of 2017.
- "`프로듀스 101 시즌2` 워너원, 최종 11인 멤버 확정 명단 공개". MBN Star (in Korean). MBN. June 17, 2017. Retrieved June 29, 2017.
- "'Produce 101' picks Wanna One performers". Korea JoongAng Daily. June 19, 2017.
- Lee, Na-kyung (April 18, 2017). ""박지훈 잘 컸네" '프로듀스101 1위 박지훈, 10년 전 사극서 '거세 연기'로 주목받은 과거 화제". Munhwa News (in Korean). Retrieved June 27, 2017.
- "박지훈". PlayDB. Interpark. Retrieved June 17, 2017.
- "Wanna One stamps name on K-pop history with debut at Gocheok Sky Dome". The Korea Herald. August 8, 2017.
- Maala, Jon (June 6, 2017). "Produce 101's Wanna One band bags deals, to start official activities". International Business Times. International Business Times, Singapore Edition. Retrieved July 6, 2017.
- Jung, Jun-hwa (June 21, 2017). "[공식입장] 워너원 측 "8월 7일 데뷔? 전혀 아냐..일정 확정無"". OSEN (in Korean). Retrieved June 27, 2017.
- "'Produce 101' group Wanna One makes debut". Korea JoongAng Daily. August 8, 2017.
- "'Produce 101' band Wanna One drops new debut album details". Yonhap News Agency. July 31, 2017.
- "Wanna One debuts with 'To Be One'". Kpop Herald. August 7, 2017.
- "'Produce 101' K-pop Boy Band Wanna One Debuts With 'Energetic': Watch". Billboard. August 10, 2017.
- "[SBS Star] Wanna One Set to Release Two Music Videos for Its Debut". SBS News. July 13, 2017.
- "Wanna One returns with toned down 'Nothing Without You'". Kpop Herald. November 13, 2017.
- "Wanna One becomes million seller with debut album". Kpop Herald. October 30, 2017.
- "Wanna One to return with new album in March". Kpop Herald. February 21, 2018.
- "Wanna One Releases 'I.P.U' Music Video: Watch". Billboard. March 6, 2018.
- "Wanna One's new album logs 700,000 copies in pre-order". Kpop Herald. March 5, 2018.
- "Wanna One heralds golden age with '0+1=1' EP". Kpop Herald. March 19, 2018.
- "Wanna One's new album to feature ZICO, Heize". Kpop Herald. April 16, 2018.
- "Wanna One to release new record in continuation of its arithmetic series". Yonhap News Agency. June 4, 2018.
- "Wanna One continues at full throttle". Kpop Herald. June 3, 2018.
- "Project band Wanna One announces 13-city world tour". Yonhap News Agency. April 2, 2018.
- "K-pop band Wanna One embarks on world tour". The Korea Times. June 4, 2018.
- "[종합] "YMC→스윙엔터테인먼트" 워너원 소속사 변경 왜? (전문)". Sports DongA (in Korean). May 31, 2018. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- "[공식입장 전문] 워너원, YMC와 오늘(31일) 계약종료…스윙엔터 이적". OSEN (in Korean). May 31, 2018. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- "Swing Entertainment Exclusively for Wanna One". Star News. June 1, 2018. Retrieved June 6, 2018.
- "Wanna One emerges as marketing blue chip". The Korea Times. September 6, 2017.
- "Wanna One looms large over K-pop : Insiders warn that group's success hurts the industry as a whole". Korea JoongAng Daily. August 31, 2017.
- "Wanna One tops brand value among K-pop boy bands in August". Kpop Herald. August 21, 2017.
- "Wanna One tops brand value ranking for boy groups in September". KBS World. September 11, 2017.
- "Wanna One, BTS, EXO top boy band brand reputation rankings in December". International Business Times. December 11, 2017.
- "Wanna One storms the charts with a unique debut". Korea JoongAng Daily. August 21, 2017.
- "Wanna One's reality show tops TV weekly ratings". Yonhap News Agency. November 15, 2017.
- "President makes 2017 'Power People' list". Korea JoongAng Daily. September 27, 2017.
- "2017년 올해를 빛낸 가수와 가요 - 최근 11년간 추이, 아이돌 선호도 포함". Gallup Korea (in Korean). Gallup Korea Co. Ltd. Retrieved December 19, 2017.
- "BTS, Wanna One among best K-pop brand, artist of 2017". International Business Times. November 2, 2017.
- "[2018 대한민국 셀러브리티(8)] 한국 연예계의 세대교체". JoongAng Ilbo (in Korean). March 26, 2018.
- "Wanna One features in 16 commercials". Kpop Herald. November 19, 2017.
- "[단독] 워너원, '윤지성 예비리더' 체제 돌입…추후 리더 선발". Osen (in Korean). July 4, 2017.
- "Wanna One Official Website". Mwave. CJ DigitalMusic. Retrieved July 7, 2017.
- Myung, Hyun-suk (July 6, 2017). "워너원, 첫 리얼리티로 돌아온다...8월 첫방송". The Hankook Ilbo (in Korean). Retrieved July 6, 2017.
- "'Wanna One Go' offers peek into personal life of boy band". Kpop Herald. August 14, 2017.
- "SBS 측 "워너원 모바일 예능, 다음주 티저 공개" (공식)". Herald Corporation (in Korean). Retrieved September 15, 2017.
- "[SBS Star] Wanna One's Variety Show SBS Mobidic 'Wanna City' is Coming Up!". SBS News. September 15, 2017.
- "Mnet's Wanna One show to return". Korea JoongAng Daily. October 25, 2017.
- "Mnet to air popular reality show 'Wanna One Go' Season 2 next month". Kpop Herald. October 24, 2017.
- "Wanna One reality show gets a third season". Korea JoongAng Daily. April 17, 2018.
- "15 Must-Watch Videos From 2017 MAMA In Hong Kong". Billboard. December 1, 2017.
- "BTS and IU cap off 'unbelievable' year: Exo, Wanna One and more were big winners at the 32nd Golden Disc Awards". Korea JoongAng Daily. January 13, 2018.
- "BTS wins big at Seoul Music Awards". Kpop Herald. January 26, 2018.
- "BTS, EXO, IU win big at 2017 Melon Music Awards". Kpop Herald. December 3, 2017.
- "[가온차트어워드] 아이유 5관왕 등극+워너원 돌풍 거셌다(종합)". Naver (in Korean). News1. February 14, 2018.
- "10 Best New K-Pop Acts in 2017". Billboard. December 26, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Wanna One.|