Wanted: Monty Mole
|Wanted: Monty Mole|
|Developer(s)||Peter Harrap (Spectrum)|
Antony Crowther (C64)
|Platform(s)||ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64|
Wanted: Monty Mole is a platform video game published in 1984 by Gremlin Graphics. Versions were released for the ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64 home computers. It is the first game in the Monty Mole series. Monty Mole is a fictional mole from Wales created by Peter Harrap.
The player controls the titular mole who has to travel around a coal mine collecting pieces of coal and other miscellaneous objects while avoiding various nasties and the infamous crushers. The style of gameplay is typical of platform games of the 1980s. The ZX Spectrum version is a flip-screen game while the Commodore 64 version uses scrolling. The game was inspired by the UK miners' strike of 1984–85.
- The tune that plays when Monty loses a life is the hymn, Abide with Me.
- The music is a downtempo cover of the Colonel Bogey March.
It also won Crash magazine's readers award for best platform game in 1984.
- Monty is Innocent (1985). In this game, Monty has been sentenced to five years in Scudmore Prison for stealing a bucket of coal. Monty's best friend, the mysterious masked weasel, Sam Stoat, is determined to set Monty free.
- Monty on the Run (1985). In this episode, Monty is on the run from the authorities after his intervention in the Miners' strike. He must escape from his house and head for the English Channel and freedom in Europe.
- Auf Wiedersehen Monty (1987). In this instalment, Monty travels around Europe collecting money in order to buy a Greek island - Montos, where he can safely retire.
- Moley Christmas (1987). Released as a covertape with Your Sinclair magazine. Monty is tasked with recovering the source code to his latest game and getting it to the duplication plant.
- Impossamole (1990), remaking Monty as a cape-clad superhero who is recruited by aliens to retrieve their sacred scrolls.
- "Peter Harrap wants new Monty Mole". Eurogamer.net. 13 April 2011.
- Purchese, Robert (13 April 2011). "Peter Harrap wants new Monty Mole". Eurogamer. Retrieved 29 January 2018.
- "Top 50 Games of All Time". Your Sinclair. Imagine Publishing. November 2004.
- Moley Christmas Inlay, Gremlin Graphics/Your Sinclair
- "Moley Christmas". World of Spectrum. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- "New Monty Mole Game for 2013 - Retro Asylum".
- Wanted: Monty Mole at MobyGames
- Wanted: Monty Mole at World of Spectrum
- Fan remake for Windows and Linux at LunySoft
|This platform game-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|