Wanted (2009 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Prabhu Deva|
|Story by||Puri Jagannadh|
|Edited by||Dilip Deo|
|Distributed by||Eros International|
|Budget||₹28 crore (equivalent to ₹50 crore or US$7.5 million in 2017)|
|Box office||₹200 crore (equivalent to ₹358 crore or US$53 million in 2017)|
Wanted is 2009 Indian action film directed by Prabhu Deva. The film stars Salman Khan, Ayesha Takia, Prakash Raj, Vinod Khanna and Mahesh Manjrekar in the lead roles. The film was released on September 18, 2009 and is an official remake of the Telugu film Pokiri, which was also remade in Tamil by Deva in 2007. Wanted was also the second highest-grossing Bollywood film of the year 2009.
Radhe (Salman Khan), a gangster with a mysterious past, kills others for money. He meets Jhanvi (Ayesha Takia) while she's doing fitness training and instantly falls in love with her. Even though their first meeting leads Jhanvi to think negatively about Radhe, she later begins to reciprocate his feelings. However, Talpade (Mahesh Manjrekar), a selfish and perverted Inspector, lusts after Jhanvi and tells her to marry him with the threat that he would rape Jhanvi's mother (Prateeksha Lonkar) if she decides to go against his decision. Talpade is tipped off about Radhe's existence by Jhanvi's landlord. Talpades tries to threaten Radhe but ends up getting frightened of him after getting outsmarted by him.
Gani Bhai (Prakash Raj), an international don, arrives in India for an assassination and hires Radhe. Gani Bhai operates his gang from outside of India. Golden Bhai(Aseem Merchant) is the gang leader of Gani Bhai's gang. Two gangs, Datta Pawle's (Raju Mavani) and Gani Bhai's, fight for the biggest part of Mumbai. Due to this, Commissioner Ashraf Taufiq Khan (Govind Namdeo) decides to make Mumbai free of crime. He arrests Gani Bhai, who makes various attempts to contact Radhe, however, in vain. Ashraf is blackmailed to release Gani Bhai, after his men release an explicit video of his daughter online after kidnapping her. Under the influence of drugs, his daughter reveals a mission that involves an IPS officer, Rajveer Singh Shekhawat, murdering Gani Bhai. Since Rajveer Shekhawat's identity is difficult to decipher, Gani Bhai holds his father, Shrikant Shekhawat (Vinod Khanna), captive. Shrikant proudly tells him about his son, without revealing his true identity. Gani Bhai mistakes Ajay (Inder Kumar), Rajveer's adopted brother, for Rajveer Shekhawat and kills him. Gani Bhai realises his mistake and pressures Shrikant to reveal Rajveer's identity. Shrikant is murdered by Gani Bhai after he refuses to tell him. His son, Rajveer Shekhawat, who is revealed to be Radhe, arrives at the place of his father's death. Radhe is infuriated and decides to avenge the deaths of his father and brother. Through threatening Talpade, he locates Gani Bhai. After an intense combat, Radhe finally manages to kill Gani Bhai and his co-conspirator Talpade.
- Salman Khan as Radhe/Rajveer Singh Shekhawat
- Vinod Khanna as Shrikant Shekhawat
- Inder Kumar as Ajay Shekhawat
- Ayesha Takia as Jhanvi
- Prakash Raj as Shamshuddin Asgar Gani or Gani Bhail
- Mahesh Manjrekar as Inspector Talpade
- Mahek Chahal as Shaina
- Govind Namdeo as Police Commissioner Ashraf Khan
- Aseem Merchant as Golden Bhai
- HARY JOSH as jankiz golden bhai's hanch man
- Manoj Pahwa as Sonu Gates
- Sarfaraz Khan as Radhe's friend Aslam
- Sajid Ali (Sajid-Wajid) as Radhe's Friend
- Raju Mavani as Datta Pawle
- G.V SUDHAKAR NAIDU as shiva datta pawle's hanch man
- Prateeksha Lonkar as Laxmi (Jhanvi's Mother)
- Anil Kapoor as Special Appearance in song "Jalwa"
- Govinda as Special Appearance in song "Jalwa"
- Prabhu Deva as Special Appearance in song "Jalwa"p
- Anupam Shyam as Dilip Topi
- Vijay Patkar as Ganesh
- Manesha Chatarji as Commissioner Daughter
- Gopichand as Villain
Director Prabhu Deva was also the director of the previous Tamil remake, Pokkiri. Asin Thottumkal was first approached for the role of Jhanvi, but due to other commitments she rejected the offer. Consequently, the role went to Ayesha Takia. Salman Khan became very excited after hearing the script and agreed to the role.
|Soundtrack album by Sajid-Wajid|
16 August 2009 (India)
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
The music of the film is given by Sajid Wajid. The music received mixed to negative reviews from critics, with a few songs seeing a positive response. Bollywood Hungama gave it an overall rating of 2.5/5. "Jalwa" and "Love Me Love Me" were declared the most successful tracks and topped the charts with its release.
|1||"Ishq Vishq"||Kamaal Khan, Sunidhi Chauhan, Suzanne D'Mello||Sameer||04:48|
|2||"Dil Leke"||Shaan, Shreya Ghoshal, Suzanne D'Mello (English Vocals)||Arun Bhairav||04:35|
|3||"Le Le Mazaa Le"||Suzanne D'Mello, Sowmya Raoh, Hrishikesh Kamerkar, Nikita Nigam||Wajid Ali, Shabbir Ahmed||04:11|
|4||"Jalwa"||Wajid Ali, Earl D'Souza||Jalees Sherwani||04:31|
|5||"Tose Pyaar Karte Hai"||Wajid Ali, Sunidhi Chauhan||Shabbir Ahmed||03:47|
|6||"Most Wanted Track"||Salman Khan||Salman Khan||04:26|
|7||"Love Me Love Me"||Wajid Ali, Amrita Kak||Jalees Sherwani||04:06|
|8||"Dil Leke (Remix)"||Shaan, Shreya Ghoshal||Arun Bhairav||03:15|
|9||"Ishq Vishq (Remix)"||Kamaal Khan, Sunidhi Chauhan, Suzanne D'Mello||Sameer||04:04|
|10||"Jalwa On The House (Remix)"||Wajid Ali, Earl D'Souza||Jalees Sherwani||04:15|
|11||"Tose Pyar Karte Hai - Bhojpuri Makhan Mix"||Wajid Ali, Earl D'Souza, Sunidhi Chauhan||Shabbir Ahmed||04:53|
|12||"Love Me Love Me (Mama Papa Mix)"||Wajid Ali, Amrita Kak||Jalees Sherwani||04:43|
Nikhat Kazmi from The Times of India gave it 4 out of 5, so did Taran Adarsh from Bollywood Hungama, who added "Wanted will run only on Salman's star power." Raja Sen from Rediff gave a negative rating of 2/5 and said "Khan might be having fun, but the fact a film like Wanted underscores is how badly Bollywood needs a breed of younger leading men. And how the existing lot need roles that fit." Indicine rated it 3/5, calling it "watchable for Salman Khan" and the "best out and out action flick of Bollywood" Rotten Tomatoes rated 3.7/5
- Nominated: IIFA Award for Best Movie – Boney Kapoor
- Nominated: IIFA Award for Best Actor – Salman Khan
- Nominated: IIFA Award for Best Performance in a Negative Role – Prakash Raj
- Best Film of the Year – Action / Thriller – Boney Kapoor
- Best Action – Vijayan Master
The original Telugu film Pokiri, directed by Puri Jagannadh, was remade in several other languages and still found success in the respective regional cinemas. Pokkiri is the first remake. The second one was Wanted, the Hindi version in 2009. Both Pokkiri and Wanted were directed by Prabhu Deva. Prakash Raj reprises his role as the villain in both the remakes. After that, a Kannada version, Porki, directed by M. D. Sridhar, was released on 14 January 2010. Below is an actor map of the lead actors in the story of Pokiri and its remakes.
Film producer Boney Kapoor announced his ideas to make Wanted 2 during 2011. Salman Khan had also requested director Prabhu Deva to create a script. In 2012, Kapoor reported that he has thought of casting Khan opposite Asin for the lead role, and that the project is under the title of Most Wanted. However, Prabhu Deva announced that he is unsure about the sequel, and if it is being made, it would happen in the near future.
- "Wanted: Trivia and Bloopers". Gomolo.in. Retrieved 29 October 2009.
- "Wanted : Music Review by Joginder Tuteja". Bollywood Hungama. 18 September 2009. Retrieved 22 November 2011.
- Joginder Tuteja (15 August 2009). "Music Reviews". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Wanted: Movie Review by Taran Adarsh". Retrieved 17 September 2009.
- "Wanted is watchable... casually". Rediff. Retrieved 24 August 2011.
- Review: Wanted Hindi Movie Review. Indicine.com (19 September 2009). Retrieved on 2015-09-19.
- Wanted (2009). Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved on 19 September 2015.
- "3 Idiots, Dev D top winners at Filmfare Awards". The Times of India. 28 February 2010. Retrieved 12 October 2010.
- "Nominations for IIFA 2010". IIFA.com. Retrieved 12 October 2010.
- "Winners of Max Stardust Awards 2010". Bollywood Hungama. Archived from the original on 7 May 2010. Retrieved 12 October 2010.
- "Winners of Nokia 16th Annual Star Screen Awards 2009". Bollywood Hungama. Archived from the original on 7 May 2010. Retrieved 12 October 2010.
- Bhaskar, Shwetha (15 January 2007). "Pokkiri: Watch only for Vijay, Asin". Rediff.com. Archived from the original on 3 May 2017. Retrieved 3 May 2017.
- Sen, Raja (18 September 2009). "Wanted is watchable... casually". Rediff.com. Archived from the original on 3 May 2017. Retrieved 3 May 2017.
- Indira Lakshminarayan, Shruti (29 January 2010). "Watch Porki only for Darshan". Rediff.com. Archived from the original on 3 May 2017. Retrieved 3 May 2017.
- "Wanted sequel on hold". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 12 July 2010.
- "Is it Salman Khan and Nayan together?". Behindwoods. 7 May 2011. Retrieved 7 May 2011.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Wanted (2009 film)|