The first edition was published in Italy in 1996 as a collectible series. In 2002 Hasbro Italy picked up the Warangel Card Game, a spin-off of the boardgame, created and illustrated by same author, for national distribution. In 2006 the boardgame celebrated the 10th anniversary with the Warangel 10 Years Edition, with English reference sheets of the first ten fantasy races in the game.
As of 2010[update] Warangel counts 120 different warrior races, each one with its hex map depicting a real sector of Earth. The game is now available with the service "Create YOUR Warangel" described on official website.
In 2000 the first boxed edition was published, receiving four awards in four different conventions and game fairs:
- Best Italian Board Game in Ludex 2000 Bologna
- Best Italian Board Game in LuccaGames 2000, greatest game fair in Italy
- Best Italian Wargame in MilanoGames 2000
- Best Italian self-produced Game in AcquiComics 2001
- Shannon Appelcline (June 1, 2006). "Gone Gaming: The Italian Design Scene, Part Two: The Reference". boredgamegeeks.blogspot.com. Retrieved 3 October 2010.
- Tom Vasel (March 2005). "Interviews by an Optimist # 19 - Angelo Porazzi". thedicetower.com. Retrieved 3 October 2010.
- "Warangel Card Game and Hasbro". warangel.it. Retrieved 3 October 2010.
- Warangel Card Game at BoardGameGeek
- "cliquenabend.de - Artikel". cliquenabend.de (in German). Retrieved 3 October 2010.
- Andrea Liga Ligabue (2010-09-22). "Game Announcement : Chimeras, Stars and Dragonwomen at Angelo Porazzi Games booth". boardgamenews.com. Retrieved 3 October 2010.
- "Create YOUR Warangel". warangel.it. Retrieved 3 October 2010.